ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Unable to use any vanilla forge/smelter/tanning rack/workbench

falloutboy65

I just found out that I am not able to use any of the default forges (Whiterun, Markath, ...). Not the forge, not the Tanning Rack, not the Smelter, not the Workbench.

I wonder if there is any way to get this running again.

Strange fact: the forge in Dawnguard is working fine. I leave Dawnguard and travel to Whiterung -> nothing.

what I tried so far

- click on any of the above (1st or 3rd person view) and simply nothing happens.

- removed all of the mods I've been playing for "ever" with and it does not change (left only minimum: UFO, custom race&body, weight changing mods)

- loaded older saves at points where I am certain I was, at the time, still able to use any of the standard forges -> same issue

- loaded a very old save in Markath (lvl 16, I am currrently lvl 49) and it worked. Went to Whiterun and -> worked

- switched weapons, shouted, jumped, killed, just about anything, as was suggested in http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/691249-i-can-not-forge/page__p__5480080__hl__forge__fromsearch__1

-> no change.

- copied back original HiRes files and ran "Verify integrity"

I am a bit at my wits end. I am certainly not going back 33 levels and basically start the game from scratch. So if anyone had an idea how to fix this.... I'd be more than greatful. If I have to live with it... well, then so be it. Maybe with the new DLC I get more working forges again. Still it is annoying.

What about alchemy or enchanting tables?

It could be scripts from a mod that has been baked into your save games (so going back to a much older save game before the mod was installed does not reproduce the bug). Have you at any point ever installed/uninstalled 'Economics of Skyrim'?

Thanks Ripple,

I had indeed installed 'Economics of Skyrim' at one point and removed it, most probably without disabling the Rental function. Reactivated it, disabled the Rental function and now at least I can use the forges of some cities again. Only Whiterun and Solitude won't do anything. No matter, I can live with that.

Yeah, that it is not possible to clean saves from leftovers is a major pain. There are too many great mods (like Economics) that after some game time still turn out to be not right for the way you play. By then you may have sunk already a good amount of gametime and I am not the one to replay the same last 15 hours again and again.

I'm relieved, I had actually completely forgotten that I had that mod installed. Thanks a lot for pointing me into the right direction!

• 8 months later...

I am having the same problem but it started after I entered the levelers tower first I was able to use all the work stations then I started poking around in the tower trying everything out. Then I went and tried to use the work stations again and now "all workstations" now kick me out as soon as I try to use one. If I start the previous save everything is fine. I am having serious issues with several mods as they do not behave well together I wish there was a list of mods that do or do not play well together and yes I do read the info on what is needed to make the mods behave, but that doesn't tell you which mods do not play well together. I have seen several list of mods that some people use with no problem but they do not use most of the mods I would like to use I like to have the sexy armor and companion mods as well as Dragon Cliff and or Levelers Tower, I like the visual and sound mods. If anyone has a good combo of these mods that work please let me know.