No Plane of Oblivian

Jeffron

If you're not using a leveling mod, you have to sleep when it tells you or you don't level. It's the only thing I could think of when you say you're only level 2 but going through the Bruma gate. The other possibility is that your 7 major skills aren't advancing but your minor ones are. Hickory is right. You should have picked up more levels by now.

It's pretty odd then as I've completed 18 quests to date with 7 of them being part of the main quest (closing the obliv gate at Leyawiin being the 7th one) and I'm barely into level 2....??

So my question now is.....If I had only completed the 7 main quest quests up to now, approximately what level should I be at?? Just ballpark it.

I'm now finding this little glitch or whatever it is somewhat disconcerting.

Oh I did get bumped off a couple of times in the early going (rookie gamer....lol) and had to go back to a previously saved game, if that makes any difference....??

Leveling in Oblivion involves increasing your major skills. If you increase that combination of skills by a certain number of points, then you'll be able to level. Without a mod, quests don't level your character on their own. The use of the skills required by that quest would level your character instead. Remember that enemies level with your character which changes the play style you might want to use.

So, let's say you've made a character who has sneak, alchemy, security, blade, marksman, and mercantile as your major skills. In order for that character to level those seven skills would have to be used. If you're running around with a war hammer and blowing creatures away with destruction spells, the minor skills of blunt and Destruction would increase, but not the major ones. That character then would not level.

There are advantages to not leveling a character; the character I constructed could become an Expert at blunt but the monsters would not level so they would become almost trivial to kill. If say you've also been fixing your armor, and wearing heavy armor, you've played essentially a tank. The problem is those major skills are what you'd use for an assassin. Oblivion will let you play that way if you want, but it rewards the role playing aspects of the game.

The disadvantages to not leveling are: loot levels too. You'll rarely if ever see the good armors. Take the tank example, at the higher levels, you would start finding ebony armor. If you keep the tank at a low level, you're basically stuck with iron and maybe steel. There are certain quests which are restricted to higher level characters. These aren't part of the main quest line (I think).

The leveling system is actually one of the things I don't like at all about Vanilla Oblivion. I use a leveling mod for precisely these reasons.

Here's an entry on the Oblivion wiki about leveling.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Leveling

Edited by talveren

Leveling in Oblivion involves increasing your major skills. If you increase that combination of skills by a certain number of points, then you'll be able to level. Without a mod, quests don't level your character on their own. The use of the skills required by that quest would level your character instead. Remember that enemies level with your character which changes the play style you might want to use.

So, let's say you've made a character who has sneak, alchemy, security, blade, marksman, and mercantile as your major skills. In order for that character to level those seven skills would have to be used. If you're running around with a war hammer and blowing creatures away with destruction spells, the minor skills of blunt and Destruction would increase, but not the major ones. That character then would not level.

There are advantages to not leveling a character; the character I constructed could become an Expert at blunt but the monsters would not level so they would become almost trivial to kill. If say you've also been fixing your armor, and wearing heavy armor, you've played essentially a tank. The problem is those major skills are what you'd use for an assassin. Oblivion will let you play that way if you want, but it rewards the role playing aspects of the game.

The disadvantages to not leveling are: loot levels too. You'll rarely if ever see the good armors. Take the tank example, at the higher levels, you would start finding ebony armor. If you keep the tank at a low level, you're basically stuck with iron and maybe steel. There are certain quests which are restricted to higher level characters. These aren't part of the main quest line (I think).

The leveling system is actually one of the things I don't like at all about Vanilla Oblivion. I use a leveling mod for precisely these reasons.

Here's an entry on the Oblivion wiki about leveling.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Leveling

Ok....So if I understand correctly from what you're saying and what I read on the wiki pages, it may actually be to my advantage, in many ways, to level up slowly in order to successfully complete the main quest (without having a major stroke or nervous breakdown....lol), whereas it may be disadvantageous in regards to the quality and quantity of booty I find, eg: weapons, armour, gold etc. along with "some" tasks I won't be able to perform.

Hmmm...?? So my choices are: stroke or breakdown with real good booty vs complete the main quest successfully with no major traumatic events to my actual physical being...*rubs chin pondering*

Okeydok....I "think" I've got it.... :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the help and clarification everyone....Cheers and successful questing.....:)

Edited by Jeffron