[REQ] Gun Runners DC

cobalt262

# Possible use of the Little Lamplight no-combat style so you couldn't go in and kill/steal everything even using god-weapons - perhaps only the Raider quest could disable this.

No way. If you want to make it so you just can't walk in and rob the place, have it be because they're armed to the teeth and only an idiot would try it.

And for the LOVE OF GOD, not an abandoned vault. There are only so many vaults in the country. IT makes no sense for half of them to be in the DC area!

How about an abandoned GUN FACTORY?

No way. If you want to make it so you just can't walk in and rob the place, have it be because they're armed to the teeth and only an idiot would try it.

That is something I do agree with you on, the forced non-combat in Little Lamplight totally ticked me off - about 30 seconds after talking to Princess to be precise. :biggrin:

The main reason I put it there was to bounce the idea of off others like I did with PrometheusV. We figure the solution was to beef the security up to max and also script it so that combat would seal-off (ie. put the place in lockdown) everything except the route between the player and the exit - if you play nice you get access to the entire facility - if you wanna be a hard-a$$ fine, if you survive you can loot what you kill, but only whats around you - not the entire Vault.

Stopping the place from becoming a '1 Stop Shop' to masses of wealth and equipment by just shooting up the place would be very important to the balance of adding a mod like this to the game. Near the end game I'm toting around 45,000+ caps and over 300 stimpacks, my house is so full of Power Armor, Weapons and Ammo that if I could sell it all I'd be busting 100,000 caps easily. The game is just way too loaded, and adding a place that actually sells 100% condition weapons and ammo would make it so much worse so I figure you'd want to limit the ability to steal it all as much as possible.

And for the LOVE OF GOD, not an abandoned vault. There are only so many vaults in the country. IT makes no sense for half of them to be in the DC area! ...How about an abandoned GUN FACTORY?

Sure - the idea of a Vault was what just popped into my head first:

1. Needs to be secure, hidden away - or everyone else would have grabbed it already.
  2. Needs to have a good reason why it still contains blueprints/schematics for weapons after 200+ years.
  3. A Vault generally contains functional computers, a large open 'market' area, storage areas, security systems, working turrets and robots wouldn't be out of place - all things that could be useful to the idea behind the mod.
  4. I generally found the Vaults in the game to be so poorly done I wanted to see a good user-made Vault.
  5. No need to try an get a new building/location to fit the wasteland and not look out of place - all you need is a good cave entrace.
  6. We have Vaults 87 to 112 in the game's wasteland area, only about 5 are actually there. Each Vault is supposed to protect 1000 citizens so I figure near a capital like DC you really would have something like 20 - 25 Vaults around. That would give you a planned potential post-apocalyptic population (say that ten times fast) of 20,000 to 25,000 from a city of several million... well that's if the Vaults were actually designed to protect people, not as experiments - damn you Vault-Tec!

That is something I do agree with you on, the forced non-combat in Little Lamplight totally ticked me off - about 30 seconds after talking to Princess to be precise. :biggrin:

The main reason I put it there was to bounce the idea of off others like I did with PrometheusV. We figure the solution was to beef the security up to max and also script it so that combat would seal-off (ie. put the place in lockdown) everything except the route between the player and the exit - if you play nice you get access to the entire facility - if you wanna be a hard-a$$ fine, if you survive you can loot what you kill, but only whats around you - not the entire Vault.

Stopping the place from becoming a '1 Stop Shop' to masses of wealth and equipment by just shooting up the place would be very important to the balance of adding a mod like this to the game. Near the end game I'm toting around 45,000+ caps and over 300 stimpacks, my house is so full of Power Armor, Weapons and Ammo that if I could sell it all I'd be busting 100,000 caps easily. The game is just way too loaded, and adding a place that actually sells 100% condition weapons and ammo would make it so much worse so I figure you'd want to limit the ability to steal it all as much as possible.

And for the LOVE OF GOD, not an abandoned vault. There are only so many vaults in the country. IT makes no sense for half of them to be in the DC area! ...How about an abandoned GUN FACTORY?

1. Needs to be secure, hidden away - or everyone else would have grabbed it already.
  2. Needs to have a good reason why it still contains blueprints/schematics for weapons after 200+ years.
  3. A Vault generally contains functional computers, a large open 'market' area, storage areas, security systems, working turrets and robots wouldn't be out of place - all things that could be useful to the idea behind the mod.
  4. I generally found the Vaults in the game to be so poorly done I wanted to see a good user-made Vault.
  5. No need to try an get a new building/location to fit the wasteland and not look out of place - all you need is a good cave entrace.
  6. We have Vaults 87 to 112 in the game's wasteland area, only about 5 are actually there. Each Vault is supposed to protect 1000 citizens so I figure near a capital like DC you really would have something like 20 - 25 Vaults around. That would give you a planned potential post-apocalyptic population (say that ten times fast) of 20,000 to 25,000 from a city of several million... well that's if the Vaults were actually designed to protect people, not as experiments - damn you Vault-Tec!

If i start it i was planning on something that makes sense.

The place is not just standing there, it had to be discovered (Means, either unreachable by normal traveling or underground)

After reinstallation, there must be something where the "Employees" live (means, either factory itself or arround entrance)

With the factory unreachable, the actual buisness must be available to the Wastelends

So ill figured something that will pretty much cover it:

Outside:

A rather small Recon post, offering a small shop, 2 guards and the Entrance

Inside:

A mix from abbandoned mall, quarters, and shops. Followed by a High security area only accessible by employees, and "special" customers.

Through the Security area the player can reach the actual manufacturing facility. Here the good stuff is sold and produced, also its mainly the "bring us, we give you quest area"

This setup allows best security when you dont know what travelers have in mind for payment method :) caps, bullets, or fired bullets :)

Also it explains why this place wasnt found in the first place and it allows gathering of other merchants.

There is more stuff but im in a hurry right now to write the rest

We figure the solution was to beef the security up to max and also script it so that combat would seal-off (ie. put the place in lockdown) everything except the route between the player and the exit - if you play nice you get access to the entire facility - if you wanna be a hard-a$$ fine, if you survive you can loot what you kill, but only whats around you - not the entire Vault.

That's also a bit much. One of the rules of fallout anything should be never punish a player for their play style. You can make them fess up to the conciquences of their actions, but never go "Bad player, no donut!"

The end should be where you'd finally be able to do it, and in all honesty that would be the point it should be counter productive because you already have better.

I'll number this to make it easier

1) Military Bunker. Its the DC area, so there should be thousands of them.

2) The bunker has a machine shop and several generations of skilled gunsmiths have been able to reverse engineer and reproduce basic firearms. For someone who knows guns well, you can probably break down and copy another gun. Just look at the gunsmiths of the khyber pass for an idea of what these guys could be capable of. Its almost freaky what those guys can do with hand tools.

3) Honestly, don't go over the top. The game has too much high tech as is. If you want high tech, have it be covert. On the top the base looks like megaton or one of the other survivor communities but its built over a bunker which is where all the good stuff is stored. Also, remember, groups like this wouldn't have a massive stockpile. They'd have some to sell to travelers but they'd probably build mostly to order for other weapons merchants. Buying factory direct should be tough if you're not buying in bulk or making a expensive, custom order.

4) If you want a good vault, wait for the mod that redoes the current ones in the style of the classical vaults. That's going to rock.

5) Much of the wasteland is rather desolate and pointless. In some areas it would easy to make use of one of the countless clusters of dead buildings or just plop some walled in shacks against a cliff to add the gun market. A couple "for the public" buildings on top and an old army bunker underground.

6) Vaults often seemed to have dispersed placement. 87-112 are probably not all in the general DC area, more the general Maryland/Virginia/Deleware region

Hey everything you're both saying sounds great - that's why I put my ideas up here, so you could take 'em apart and suggest alternatives I hadn't thought of.

- A Military Bunker hidden underneath a simple little outpost sounds awesome and makes sense - it'd provide everything needed and is a unique approach.

- A fortified Shopping Mall, well why the hell not - it'd be the first one in any of the games as far as I know.

But it's so much fun to punish the player, except I'd prefer something like "Bad player, eat hot laser death!" :P LOL, no I get what your saying and you're right.

If the player wants to go on a Jet-fueled Psycho-powered killing-spree and loot the place, let 'em - they'll be able to sell off all that nice stuff and become filthy rich early on... but then you can add consequences - Hey you killed off our trading partners, all Megaton goods now +200% buying price for you buddy :D Wanted by the Regulators :ohmy: Get declared as a Heretical Destroyer of Technology by the BoS/Outcasts :blink: - anything you want to think up.

ano - what projects are in the works for 'rebuilds' of the Vaults, cos the vanilla ones suck a$$ - holds a dozen people, half-dozen rooms, a few corridors, measly little medical bay - where's the reactor level, the hot-bunking for 1000 citizens, rations and water storage for 10 years, computer archives, educational facilities - and darn it I want an overseer's chair with the chrome-plated dual miniguns for when the inmates get uppity!

If someone is going to make this mod, can i like point out a minor detail, make the gun's look old, but not rusted. From what i know about guns, auto-loaders specifically is that they wont fire reliably when rusted , shotguns specifically are prone too malfunction when rusted, doubt a rifle repaired with duct tape can be fired safely, i think you get my point. That's all.

Well... It's not really about adding new guns (textures/models) - though it does add a location that new guns could be bought - so much as to provide a logical reason for why there's so many of the damn things in the DC area 200 years after the war.

The guns available from the Gun Runners would be the same ones already in game, with their standard textures. But if new textures were made, your suggestion IS what they'd look like ideally - no rust, just a little worn around the edges from the rough manufacture methods employed.

- and never underestimate the power of DUCT TAPE :biggrin:

Archived