Radiated Weather?

harkura

Normal Rain

Acid Rain

Radiated Dust/Sand Storms

Visual Heatwaves (during high noon)

Thick Fog Normal/Radiated

?Frozen Wasteland?

While mods that multiply radiation are nice there just simply isn't enough going on to make you struggle to stay away from it. There's been nuclear war, a lot of it, think bigger, the entire planet is jacked. Currently radiation is pretty much a joke and easy to combat even with radaways turned off or down, see a doc and you're all better like "What". Now get back out there!

Or how about a DoT, only it never ends, you're always soaking up radiation wherever you are...

I don't know

while I agree that radiation is just a joke in FO3, you got to realise it's been 200 years since the bombs dropped, the radiation caused by the explosions would almost be completley gone.

Assuming the majority of the bombs droped contained Plutonium-339, when the bombs detonated the fisson would have produced Cesium-137, which has a half-life of 30 years (other kinds of bombs would produce isotopes with shorter half-lives), thats 6.66 half-lives, which means the radtion would be reduced to 1.18% of it's starting strength.

That said the water wouldn't be radiated after 200 years either so the whole main quest is a load of c*** anyway ;)

Very true, but rather then keeping with the whole "wouldn't happen in real life" attitude most people give it I'd still like to see radiation re-vamped. 200 years, yeah, but screw it. I say go nuts! I want a poo-storm of radiation from almost every direction. Who really cares what type of bombs were dropped and what the half-life is, it's not reality, it's a post-apocalyptic nuclear wasteland. I want life to be hard, very dangerous, the planet would almost shutdown, life would be gone, wtf? ghouls? come on, no offense or anything but it's not intended to be "realistic". I want me some radiation orgy.

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed. I think the whole survival aspect of Fallout 3 is kinda lost in the first place. I'd enjoy seeing food and water as a necessity and radiation to be much more dangerous. I remember enjoying that in S.T.A.L.K.E.R..

OOOh I know what you mean. that stuff was all over.. you needed to be careful not to get radiation, always had to have some anti-rad with you. at least 2-3 of them ^^

Hence all the survival mods out there. I think the reason Bethesda shied away from all the micromanagement is to that the player could maintain focus on the stories and main quest. They're trying to keep the experience manageable for a wide range of gamers to enjoy. Not everyone will find it enjoyable to keep track of all these "Sims" stats while trying to enjoy the story and presentation. The player is seen as more of a vessel of exploration and observation, rather than as a citizen of the population. I mean, hey, he's like frickin' Jesus out there - or Satan incarnate, depending on how you play...>_>

But yeah, radiated weather would be a delightful nuisance. It could make the necessity to camp more viable. Out in the middle of the Waste and it starts to acid rain? Pitch the tent and ride out the storm!

I agree that weather should be an integral part of any "survival" mod. Remember (PLWF)

Protection - Armour, weapon, hat, respirator

Location - get outta Dodge

Water - can't go more than a couple of days without it

Food - can go a couple a weeks wihout it but you get really weak and feel very ordinary after a few days

The effects of getting wet in a temperate climate without adequate dry clothing or a warm sleeping bag to go hide in can be fatal. This would really make you think twice about that short cut across that little stream. Or maybe its worth the risk?

You go you crazy weather modders!

Archived