Monitoring and Reducing VRAM usage

hangarspace

Recently getting back into SR and starting all my mods from scratch I'm having a few graphical oddities (purple textures) so thought I should monitor my vram usage to see if it's maxing out somewhere

I'm using Afterburner to monitor things but can't get it to work when using an ENB (wrapper), but if I run it without any enb it seems to work ok. So my VRAM usage sat around 2.4 to 2.6Gb and after spawning a few dragons in Dawnstar it maxed out at around 2.9Gb with the GPU over 95% and a framerate 35 to 60 fps once things get going. This is on my MSI 7970 3gb card. I didn't expect it to be so high, it was quite surprising, despite using quite a lot of hi-def textures I didn't expect it to be that high.

Question 1, I've seen some mention of a tool to optimise the textures in the mods, what tool is it and does it have much effect?

Question 2, Will the ENB have much effect on VRAM usage or is it more GPU and if i'm reaching 99% GPU with no enb when monitoring, what happens when I run an enb which pushes the GPU harder, drop in framerate, missing textures or crashes?

Question 3, Is there anyway to use Afterburner with an ENB, (injector version? will that work with any enb?)

Thanks for looking.

Chris