question about using multiple masters and creating/editing mod files

Kneller

This is what I'm trying to do. I currently run Fallout vanilla with JSawyer classic, then my own mods of unrelated very minor tweaks from there. What I would like to load into the geck is all the vanilla master files, then JSawyer, so what I'm seeing is the state of things in a game modded by JSawyer. My intention is to create a single mod doing a massive overhaul on various things (while also integrating my various tweaks from other mods). There's a lot of JSawyer I'm leaving untouched, but for the things I am modding that JSawyer modded, I want to make sure I'm seeing the JSawyer values. if that makes sense.

So, I guess my essential question is, is there a load order for the Geck? I figured out how to load multiple masters by changing the settings, but am not sure if it loads in the order on the list in the geck (and if there is a way to change that order if I wanted). Additionally, this is the first mod I'm doing that will take me more than 5-10 minutes to make. When going back to it, do I just load everything up as before, but then additionally my own mod file and that lets me pick up where I left off?

Thanks!

You are talking about creating a "Merge Patch" file. For what you want to accomplish, the GECK is the wrong tool. Please see the 'Third Rule: The Rule of One' and 'Merge Patch File' sections of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article. When in doubt, create a "Merge Patch" file for your overall "load order" anyway. If you add, remove, or change the sequence of plugins in your "load order", don't forget to rebuild the "merge patch" file again.

You want to use xEdit (aka FNVEdit when renamed for this game). Read and follow the 'Conflict Detection and Resolution' procedure in the 'Tome of xEdit' documentation.

-Dubious-

I don't think OP is interested in making a merged patch, it sounds like he wants to create his own mod with his own changes. While you can make mods with FNVEdit to an extent, the GECK should still be your go-to tool.

The GECK uses the same load order that your game does. The last file loaded "wins", and the changes from that is what you will see in the editor.

Also be aware of the "active mod" checkbox. When you want to create a new plugin make sure that this box is unchecked, otherwise you changes will be saved to whatever plugin you mark as active.

I don't think OP is interested in making a merged patch, it sounds like he wants to create his own mod with his own changes.

Also be aware of the "active mod" checkbox. When you want to create a new plugin make sure that this box is unchecked, otherwise you changes will be saved to whatever plugin you mark as active.

That is correct. Everything I want to do can be done with the GECK (carry weight, item weight, recipes, etc.), but what I want to do will affect all the DLCs as well as vanilla. So, I would just like to keep it simple and create one mod file for everything.

When I go reload my mod to keep working on it. I assume I want this to be the active mod, right?

What Ladez said, and yes you can pick up where you left. I recommend you load the exact same masters or you'll end up with unwanted masters once you save progress. If this happens you can correct it with FNVEdit but best to avoid it all together.

I'm not sure I understand. Or maybe I do. So, if I reload the mod to keep working on it, I load all the same masters as well as JSawyer, then my own mod? But if I omit any of the masters, or JSawyer, it could cause problems. I was assuming this was the case, and figured I'd be loading everything every time I want to work on my own mod. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

That is correct. Everything I want to do can be done with the GECK (carry weight, item weight, recipes, etc.), but what I want to do will affect all the DLCs as well as vanilla. So, I would just like to keep it simple and create one mod file for everything.

Is this a question?

If you want to mod the DLC or include DLC content, keep the appropriate DLC master files loaded. If not, stick to FalloutNV.esm.

When I go reload my mod to keep working on it. I assume I want this to be the active mod, right?

Correct.

I'm not sure I understand. Or maybe I do. So, if I reload the mod to keep working on it, I load all the same masters as well as JSawyer, then my own mod? But if I omit any of the masters, or JSawyer, it could cause problems. I was assuming this was the case, and figured I'd be loading everything every time I want to work on my own mod. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

The GECK automatically loads all masters set in a plugin header. You can't avoid loading a certain master once it has been added to a plugin and that plugin has been saved.

You may end up with unwanted master dependencies if you have all the DLC (or other mods) loaded during development of a mod. As long as you don't reference anything inside those masters, you can use FNVEdit to clean them.