ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Remove player position on map

Longanlon

I cant believe this has not been discussed yet, since there are so many "immersion" topics and mods.

A map which shows your exact position on it all the time is quite unrealistic, since the existence of a working GPS or similar system after the War is quite improbable.

A working compass is fine, and I need the map to see the location markers different NPCs and quests inform me of.

So is there a way to just remove the player position marker from the pip-boy map?

I have to agree. I don't know if removing the player icon from the pip map is possible or not, but it'd be kind of neat. You'd have a general idea of where you were, but still have to use your surroundings to figure it out exactly. I did a couple of searches for something like this, but didn't come up with so much as a forum post (aside from yours).

So yeah, neat idea...I can't actually do s#*! for you...but I'll agree that it's neat.

The icon for the players position on the map is saved as glow_cursor.dds in data\textures\interface\icons\misc. If you override it with an empty image file the marker for the players map position will be invisible. Likewise the dotted trail to quest markers and placed map markers are saved as waypoint_node.dds, waypoint_path.dds and waypoint_path_interior.dds in data\textures\interface\wordmap.

The map will still open centered on the players position though, so you will still know where you are.

Attached is a zip-file where I have done this. Simply paste the contents into your data folder.

Note that I have only briefly tested this. It might be that glow_cursor.dds is also used somewhere else. If so that marker will also be invisible.

Edited by TheNeglected