Where is the casing model in GECK?

VikingII

VikingII - Hello!

I don't think the casings are listed in GECK.

I know they are set in the Art & Sound tab of weapons but I think that's it as far as in Geck.

You can find the models in the Fallout - Neshes.bsa, searching for Casing brings them up.

Several, like 45calcasing.nif, are in the .bsa under:

Meshes\projectiles\

You could extract the models & create a new misc item (if you want to pick them up into inventory) or a moveable static (if you want them moveable but not takable).

You'd need to tweak the casing models though as they are set up as special non selectable havoked items (OL_ITEM_PICK).

They are weighted though so it's a simple case of flipping their flag to normal Clutter items in Nifskope.

For example, open 45calcasing.nif in Nifskope.

Expand the details in the Block List by clicking the arrow next to BSFadeNode.

Expand the details of bhkCollisionObject, left click on bhkRigidBody & in the details that come up at the bottom in Block Details find Layer & change it from:

OL_ITEM_PICK

to:

OL_CLUTTER

Find Layer Copy & change it's OL_ITEM_PICK to OL_CLUTTER as above.

Go to File & save your changes.

You should change your model's name from the original to prevent confusion.

Now you can add the item into the game through GECK as a new misc or moveable static.

You may want to change the models material setting as it makes a really loud metal clang in game.

I'm guessing the tinkle "casing" noise is added to it via the weapons animation.

You can change it to a compromise sound that's not bad, open in Nifskope & expand the details of bhkCollisionObject, expand bhkRigidBody & left click on bhkConvexVerticesShape.

In the bottom Block Details change:

HAV_MAT_HEAVY_METAL

to

HAV_MAT_METAL

Save your changes.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

• 2 weeks later...

I found a setback in my method:

I added a new static object with the nif reference to the vanilla cartridge .308, it is a new object from scratch, only movable trough GECK with the reference added by navigation through Windows. But when I shut the sniper the casing remains static on the air with no movement, the other weapons works fine. How could it happen?

VikingII - Hello!

I'm a little confused as to the problem, you were making a clutter item of the 762mmcasing, but you mention it coming out when you fire?

I thought you just wanted to make a clutter version of the casing?

Do you mean your sniper rifle casing have been affected by your changes?

If so you may have modified the vanilla reference, accidentally replacing it with your new static version.

You can undo that by opening your mod in FO3Edit (make a backup of your mod first!) & removing any changes in your mod that are overwriting vanilla settings.

If you made a new model for your version of the 762mmcasing.nif, make sure you've not placed it in the default path for that model:

Fallout 3\Data\Meshes\Projectiles

As that would replace the vanilla.

Also, you say you made a new static item?

Statics should not be moveable, create a misc item instead & make the tweak to the .nif that I mention above in my earlier post (changing the settings of OL_ITEM_PICK to OL_ITEM_CLUTTER) to make your version of the casing a normal moveable clutter item.

Unless of course you're wanting it to be static.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Yes, that is what exactly happens. I want a new non static object to decorate a room. I made a new object with the “Fallout 3\Data\Meshes\Projectiles\308casing.nif” and it affects to my “real” sniper rifle casing, I don’t know why. I don’t want to add a new nif because I want to work only with vanilla content. I don’t want to add additional folders to my mod, I want to have only a simple esp, so I can’t make a new nif with other name.

By deleting the new static object, the sniper returns to work fine, so if I can’t be able to fix that problem, I will delete the new object and that’s all, this is not important at all to my mod, is only aesthetic. Thanks Prensa.