Why am I still playing Skyrim?

voidgenesis

I am one of those "they could have done this better" people who are just plain negative about things; even things that I like. Vanilla Skyrim broke my heart: cookie-cutter characters, tons of skills missing, no more birthsigns or racial traits. I hated it. Fortunately, with the community being as awesome as it is, I got mods to re-enable everything I loved about the previous games. My game is modded to high heaven and even though I still gripe about things in the game I still come back to it every day. I used to waste my time on TF2 before it went down the tubes and Skyrim has more or less filled that void.

I still play oblivion,together with skyrim!and i will keep playing them for many years because there are always modders who intend to make the game much more awesome.Besides,they are my favorite kind of games and i don't have anything else to play.

@Shadieus

I agree that vanilla Skyrim has lack of many things.But we must thank Bethesda for creating it and, of course, the modders who make the game much more attractive.

Finishing up a zillionth playthrough of Oblivion right now. My Oblivion is heavily modded - actually, I should say my FCOM/OOO/Oblivion is heavily modded - and the latest playthrough was still fun because of the mods. (I did a Skyrim inspired pure mage; a daunting task with FCOM installed)

But, here I am again, back at the Skyrim Nexus, looking for new mods to help with my TES addiction. I wish I could find another game series which I enjoy as much as TES, but I can't. I have boxes full of old games, but only three CD's out on my game computer table; Oblivion, Skyrim, and GalCiv 2.

There's an open-endedness to the TES games which make you believe that you can replay them over and over in new ways. I think that's true for about four or five replays, then it gets a little repetitive. So you start throwing mods in the mix. That expands the TES world your in for another set of replays.

Why do we do it? I wish I knew. I know I like simulations; I like the freedom to act within a consistent set of world rules. The open-ended nature of TES games appeals to that. I like complexity; I do not understand people like my sister who turn a Core I7 monster machine into a $1.00 deck of cards and play Solitaire for hours, and years. I like puzzles; not Myst-like trivial puzzles, but long range planning or major "Ah Ha!" puzzles (like how to survive with a no-armor mage on Master difficulty). I like to see a story unfold and be involved in it; not just run through stronger mobs in an FPS. I like a little realism (I play hardcore Skyrim, but not Oblivion); time-of-day, weather, falling to your death... basic immersion stuff. TES games have all that. None of them have enough of it, but they have more than any other RPG games I've played.