Dead Zone in New Vegas

wdrewjr

Hi. I first started noticing a particular kind of problem; a CTD occuring a specific amount of time after loading a save. I was able to work around this by loading the save and then either waiting or sleeping six hours, after which everything was OK (or at least OK until the next time it happened. Then I started noticing that freezes and CTD's were starting to occur in a specific area, namely around the Repcon HQ building. During my tests to see how far out this dead zone was I also found out that once I got a certain distance from the building it would disappear (except for the entrance doors). The game would soon crash thereafter, but the zone for the unstable saves extended out to being able to SEE the building, not just to where it would disappear. This started happening after I loaded the following mods:

Willow Companion Mod

TheBackpackV3

Portable Campsite - Portable Campsite v1_0_2

The Someguy Series - Someguy Series

New Vegas Bounties I - NVBI version 1 dot 3

New Vegas Bounties II - New Vegas Bounties II Version 1 dot 25

The Inheritance - The Inheritance version 1 dot 1

I tried removing them one by one, eventually removing all of them, but the same issues remained. Giving up on what I considered to be a corrupted save or series of saves I just started a new game with a new character. To make sure everything was OK I warped to the Repcon HQ and sure enough, it was invisible except for the doors. This was the case for a new character without ANY of the above listed mods being used. I had Steam check the cache integrity, and it did come back that 1 file needed replacing, but this still occured after it was replaced. Also, after checking the cache integrity, having one file needing replacement, and then restarting FNV but NOT opening a file (just staying long enough for the new file to load), when I did another integrity check it still comes back as one file corrupted. I'm out of ideas and could really use your help. Thank you for your time.

Wes

The one file corrupted is just a data file from the install, it's common and doesn't need to be worried about :). It will always come up in Steam, everyone has the same problem.

Post your entire LO please. Other info I'd like: Have you created a merged patch with either Wrye Flash or FNVedit? Have you created any hand made patches with FNVedit? I'll assume you have archive invalidation set properly.

Those mods wouldn't be the source of your problem. The deadzone you refer to is the cell in which that area loads. Somewhere along the line there is either a dirty edit in your mods or a conflict. Also could be a missing resource in a BSA or a mod is referring to a resource that is unavailable. List what ever extra BSA files you have except the default ones. This problem shouldn't be too hard to solve assuming one of these are the problem, which is likely because there are hardly any other ways it could do this, unless your system is cursed lol XD.

Now a word of advice on save games: Use CASM. Creating quicksaves or autosaves (mainly quick saves) can cause your game to become corrupted after a while, a well known fact. With CASM you can use the F4 button to create a full save instead oif making a dodgy quicksave with F5. It also uses it's own full-auto save every 5 minutes or after certain events like combat. It is highly recommended if you aren't already using it.

Post the info and I will help you with the rest :)