Idea and request for jumping while sprinting.

Tastou

Hello,

I'm not a modder, by any stretch of the imagination. I played Oblivion unmodded (not even aware of modding) for just a few hours back when it came out. I fell in love with Skyrim thanks, for the most part, to Gopher because he made the modding scene known and available to me. I'm just saying that as a disclaimer that I am extremely new and ignorant in modding, so this "idea" might not be one at all.

I just played with the creation kit for a few minutes and, with only one change, came up with the following result :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uv1-BEC9xw

It's not well thought out (or even thought out at all, it's basically me trying to understand how it all works), it only works as a replacement of the Sprint Attack, with the left click instead of the space bar, without a landing animation, and doesn't seem to work in first person ; but I think I can come up with a better result easily (I'm just posting this right now cause I'll have to take a break and because I think I'm on the right track ... but again, I'm a noob). And if I think I can, I think you can.

I'll try to explain what I think is going on.

Basically, it seems the jump key is ignored while sprinting. I tried adding the condition "IsSprinting" to the jump action and assigned an animation that I knew could interrupt sprinting (ie, "AttackStartSprint") but it didn't work (http://gyazo.com/a36c1114f46a990b7d3ed7906c69e0ac)
So I just modified the animation for "AttackRightForwardSprinting_1hand", under "ActionRightAttack" (ie attack while sprinting) to play the jump animation (http://gyazo.com/f45d8539777c1f80560076cef02cf7a7).
This is just me making a quick post to share a possibly useful idea. I'll try some more later (or tomorrow), or maybe explain better if it's unclear (not that it's particularly crystal clear to me).

Adding something in the Idle Animation Window is a dead end, in my opinion.

I tried adding furniture animations and paired animations (using existing Animation Events) in this window. But whatever I tried, I could not activate any of these new IdleObjects. Now furniture and paired animations are specific animations, which require a charater to walk or run into position before the real animation starts. So I was not sure, if my (missing) result was due to those animations I tried. But since you didn't have any reaction, it really looks like it's not possible to make any custom idle objects work.

Just like you I was able to modify existing IdleObjects, even add new conditions. Just like you did in your second try. But when we are onl able to modify existing object, I think the whole idea is a dead end. Because removing something from the game so you can add your new animation isn't a viable solution.

My proposal is using FNIS. With FNIS you can apply every animation (file, not event!) to the PC, while you use the forward button. And maybe, but I can't promise, you can adjust the speed by modifying a behavior variable.

Interesting concept but like fore said, replacing animations isn't exactly the best way to go. But don't let this discourage you, everybody starts somewhere and experimenting is a very large part of the fun that modding is :)

However, I couldn't go by without mentioning that there are other ways to make this happen, and it has been done already:

A script mod that enables jumping while sprinting: Sprint and Jump with Boost. Simple but effective, the only flaw is a tiny delay between the key press and the actual jump.

And another mod, it includes a script simiilar to the one above (actually, both scripts were written by the same modders): Athletics Training. That mod's reminiscent of Morrowind's and Oblivion's athletic skill, with a few extras like the sprint-jump ability of the other mod.

I think it would be better to remove the sprint keybind altogether, and use script dragon to bind it to a new thing where your speedmult is increased, and your FOV is increased, and maybe a different animation plays for running, but it won't have to. This could emulate sprinting, in all directions even.

@Volek, I knew of the "Sprint and jump with boost" mod (didn't actually try it. I think I just read the description and the comments) but, from what I understand, it only makes the sprint-stop-delay-jump process automatic. It doesn't remove the stop and the delay (the delay before jumping being the most annoying), so it doesn't really sound appealing to me. Still, I might try it in the end.

@fore, I'm not going to pretend to understand half of what you're saying, but I just saw you made FNIS (which I only knew by name) which looks like a mod made by an animation wizard. So I'll just accept that I'm going nowhere with this.

I just got somewhat excited because I was able to display the jump animation while sprinting, but I'm not even sure it's a real jump. 1st person shows no jumping, 3rd person "sprint-jump" elevates the player less than a real jump, and the game doesn't understand it has to make me land.

The creation kit keeps giving me errors on master loading and crashes sometimes. So, I might play with it a little more, but probably not for very long. :p

And it doesn't look like you can do a whole lot with this tool. Much respect to some mod makers whose work I'm using.

I think it would be better to remove the sprint keybind altogether, and use script dragon to bind it to a new thing where your speedmult is increased, and your FOV is increased, and maybe a different animation plays for running, but it won't have to. This could emulate sprinting, in all directions even.

Yeah, it's not the first time I see this idea, and it sounds doable and reasonable to me. Maybe the fact that it hasn't been done already should tell me that it's harder than it sounds.