any closer to fixing invalidated savegames?

yungskiz

well, it might be time to put nv on the shelf and go play the xbox ive yet to use. crashing on save, and invalidated save games got really old....in the era of fallout 3. losing a save is always frustrating, thats why backups should be made. unfortunatley that wont bring back several hours of gameplay that was not backed up.

usually i deal with it, but it happens a lot....unfortunatley....90% of the time under the same circumstances

new vegas bounties 1& 2 have always been staples of my load order, but the "circumstances" involve a cell created by or altered by one of the bounties mods. people love them, they work, i dont know why im getting issues.

is there any fix for a broken save? like run it through "magic utility" and its fixed?

ive thought about using a save manager, but from my experience any corrupted save file that is opened or modified while playing new vegas will also corrupt other save files within that same folder. that bieng said i dont know if i trust save managers

but yeah...on a sleep deprived rant at the moment, because i said screw it, started a new game, got through the intro sequence- left doc mitchels, went to the genral store, saved the game. then i went to the saloon - the game crashes, i restart, and (!#^#) ;# my save is corrupted, on a file less than 10 minutes old, im sending bethesda a f***ing medal.

ive also noticed theres two methods of corrupting your save. the first is just saving itself. playing the game as normal, saving and then crashing on save, save is corrupted. the second is getting a ctd and then booting up fnv again then the next time you save it crashes due to your save being corrupted->from the previous crash.

Edited by yungskiz

i assume you mean corrupted saves. This happens when you make to many autosaves and quicksaves over time and continue to load the game from them, the save system for them is bs. You should ALWAYS be making full saves, the one in the pause menu.

What you need is CASM: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/36730. This replaces the autosave system with it's own, in which it makes full saves, more often and also at more logical times like after combat. It also has it's own quicksave key, the F4 button which you can use to make a full save rather than having to press F5 to make a dodgy quick save that WILL eventually corrupt your game. It also creates an entirely new save everytime you make a quicksave so you on't have to worry about only having 2 different save files, in fact it will allow up to 1000.

That's your fix. I know it's a pain having to restart a save but if you do it properly from the start it will save all this hassle in future. ALSO remember to keep a good load order because havin g bad mods/bad LO/incompatible mods can cause corruption. In which case CASM has got you covered because it made a new save every time. Go and endorse it and give kudos to the maker :).

Hope this answers your question.

EDIT: Oh and there is NO utility to magically fix a save...

i thought there was a smiley for banging your head against the wall. im not finding it, but it would go on this line.

i remember reading that too many saves would cause havoc, so i turned off the save on rest, cell entry, fast travel. i didnt know quicksaving would do it to...urg.

thanks, ill get a save manager now, and hotkey f5 to something useful if i can lol

Lol you can find it in the emoticons when you type a post, click the button to go right a few times it will show up( :wallbash:) . Just remember to keep pressing F4 and bugger off the F5/quicksave key somewhere you can't touch it XD

Glad to be of assistance :)