New armored draugr problem

FluffyBunnyBall

Hey guys!

I'm new in the forum and also in modding and now I need your help... Me and my friends would like to make a quest with some new stuff (weapons, maybe armor, etc), but for this we need a new npc character, which is a draugr with new armor elements. I'm the "designer" in the team and of course it's my job to figure out if it's possible to make or not.

I'm already done with the modeling and the skinning and I wanted to test the model without the textures. I exported from 3ds Max to .nif, edited the mesh and the properties in NifSkope and then I tried to make a new npc in the creation kit. I didn't find any tutorials so I tried to do everything on my own. Maybe that's the problem, because it doesn't work. :D Anyway, in the creation kit I checked what do I need for a new draugr character and this is what I did so far:

1. I made a copy from NakedDraugrBodyAA07 (ArmorAddon) and replaced the biped model to my new one -> saved it as a new armor addon

2. Then I copied SkinDraugrMale07 (Armor) and replaced the skin with my new skin -> saved it as a new armor (SkinDraugrMale08)

3. And here comes the problem: as I try to make a new npc and replace the skin to my skin (SkinDraugrMale08), creation kit crashes. I have no idea why... I know that I screwed something, but I really don't know what, because when I load my model, I can see it without any problem:

http://i.imgur.com/sLPLaF8.jpg

My ideas:

- I screwed it in NifSkope

- I screwed it in Creation Kit

- I screwed it in both. :D

Please if you have any ideas, if you know any tutorials in both program, (which is not about new armor or npc, I need something more like a new npc with completely new meshes) share them with me.

Thanks! :)

• 8 months later...

Bear the following in mind: I know nothing about modding, in any kind of practical sense. I simply haven't had the time to toy around with it much yet. But... maybe what I'm planning/hoping to do (soon? I hope?) will help in an off-hand sort of way: I'm going to (not very original, I know, but...) make a playable Draugr race. That will let you change armor and what-not.

But I don't plan to do it as (I think) it has been done before. I'm approaching it from another angle entirely.

That is to say, I'm not going to use Draugr resources to do it.

My plan is to duplicate the Nord Race as a new race. Change the settings up for it to match Draugr for playing (as much as I can), then do a full re-tex of the new Nord/Draugr I've made to make it look like Draugr.

My hope is that (unlike other playable Draugr mods), this will make it so that armor shows what you have equipped. If it would work (I see no reason it wouldn't), it could easily be done for an NPC for your purpose, right? Or am I just coming off as a complete idiot?

EDIT: Or I could be responding to a post that's eight months old... :/

Edited by Flowerguy360