Environmental Armor

VT08

I think it'd be neat to see some of the stuff out of Fallout: Tactics in Fallout 3. I realize that it was an unpopular addition to the series that many fans don't often like to talk about, but some of the designs really weren't that bad.

And of course, as you may have already guessed, I'd actually like to see something in particular done... the Environmental Armor.

Apparently this was even intended to be included in Fallout 2 (if the art files for unused items are any indication), and was later added in by one of the restoration projects that attempted to re-add unused content into the game. The design was apparently very close to what was later used in Tactics.

My reasoning is that while having an environmental suit in Fallout 3 is nice and all, I'm sure it'd be a great idea to have a more weaponized/ armored version of it for military purposes. It really seems like there should be some kind of armor to breach the gap between the more conventional combat armor and the "walking tank" power armor, that can be more easily produced and repaired, while still allowing soldiers to operate in dangerous conditions without having to down enough Rad-X to develop an addiction.

The armor I have in mind is pictured in the attachments accompanying this post.

As you can see, the game and concept art both suggest a highly protective radiation-proof suit that nevertheless falls short when compared to the defensive capabilities of even the DC Brotherhood's current armor.

I think it'd be a nice option for those who want to trade some of the protective capabilities of power armor for a more radioactive proof suit, that nevertheless stands up well in a firefight, allows for a bit more mobility (less of a hit to AGI, in other words), lacks a STR enhancement, and is altogether more suggestive of "soldier" rather than "scientist".

Archived