ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Horses are frozen in place

Shahariel

Hello everyone!

I have a serious problem with my game: Every single horse I find is standing completely still, neck and tail streched out, mouth wide open, and won't budge a millimeter - especially when I try to start a new game (and sadly I have to due to a now deleted mod who corrupted my old files, which were deleted also). Every person moves on the carts, Ralof and Lokir have their little chat right up to the point when Lokir says: "Rorikstead. I'm... I'm from Rorikstead."

The next line should be an Imperial at the gate of Helgen, which never happens due to neither the two carts nor Tullius and Hadvar being able to get there due to frozen horses....

So far I have disabled and re-enabled every mod in my load order, did a fresh reload on anything related to animations, bugfixes and horses ( Engine fixes Part 1 and 2, Actor Limit Fix, Address library for SKSE, Bug Fixes SSE, console_alias.ini, ConsoleUtilSSE, Convenient Horses, FNIS (ALL of them, several times), MfGFix, NetScriptFrameworkSSE v13, PapyrusUtilSSE, SkyUI_5_2_SE , ran GeneratFNIS... every time I changed the load order and installed both SKSE and Skyrim itself anew.

I had CC Wild Horses active, but took it out the Skyrim data folder - and downloaded it fresh again, but no change either.

I tried to run the game with 200+ mods, with a handful of mods, in vanilla (several times) and every time the horses are the same statues, mouths agape and tails stiffly frizzling behind them.

Has anyone any idea how in Oblivion I could get Skyrim to work again?

Sounds like a "t-pose for horses" or something similar: Probably an animation issue.

Did you change the skeleton of horses? AFAIK, xpmse also has skeletons for animals. I'd reinstall XPMSE and make sure nothing overwrites it. Then run FNIS again.

Hmm... I still think it there must be something wrong with the horses, more precisely their animations and/or skeletons. At least IMHO, that's the most likely explanation.

I tried to run the game with 200+ mods, with a handful of mods, in vanilla (several times) and every time the horses are the same statues, mouths agape and tails stiffly frizzling behind them.

If the problem persists even in a "Vanilla" setup, I'd dare say your game isn't really "Vanilla". If you start a new game without any mods, the game SHOULD work fine. If it doesn't, it's very likely that you don't really use a "Vanilla" installation.

Problem is there could still be remnants of previously installed mods that cause problems. A single corrupted skeleton or animation file that didn't get uninstalled properly for some reason or another already can break your game...

On a real "clean" install, you shouldn't have a ".../Skyrim SE/data" folder. Check this first.

BTW, do you get any FNIS errors? USually, FNIS gives useful information. Check it. Also run FNIS with the "check for old animations" (or something similar) checkbox ticked and see if that gives you any errors.

If everything else fails, the last resort would be a really "clean" reinstall: Uninstall the game via Steam, delete the whole ".../Skyrim SE" folder and also your .ini files in .../documents/my games/Skyrim SE. Then reinstall the game from Steam.

Ok, I'll try that..

One thing: I tried out the FNIS XXL version with the mods installed the game ran before (shouldn't have deleted one mod during playthrough, busted everything), and the GenerateFNIS-Check shows me this:

Reading FlowerGirlsSE V3.0.2 ... ChAnims:1618 CTD:7,9% pOpt:0,0%
Reading FNISBase V7.6 ... ChAnims:0 CTD:0,0% pOpt:0,0%
Reading FNISCreatureVersion V7.0 ... ChAnims:0 CTD:0,0% pOpt:0,0%
(and so on...)
Shouldn't FNISBase and FNISCreatures have animations shown too?
Anyway, I try the checking for data folder first, maybe that works....
EDIT: Nope, it did not work.... I disabled all mods, deleted all of the FNIS mods to ensure some obscure data from them is gone too, deleted Skyrim, checked and reuploaded again
Edited by Shahariel

Reading FNISCreatureVersion V7.0 ... ChAnims:0 CTD:0,0% pOpt:0,0%

This might be the problem. FNIS Creatures might be incompatible with horse mods.

TBH, I never used it, so I don't have practical experience with it. But AFAIK, FNIS creatures makes changes to creature animations (and possibly skeletons, too - not sure about that). This might conflict with your horse mod. I'd try without FNIS creatures and see if that changes anything.

Soo, now I have another problem - I de-and reinstalled Skyrim once more just to be safe, and now I can't START the game even in complete vanilla- meaning when I try to start it and press the play button, the stream screen shows it's loading (the game's name is in green), then it just goes to blue letters, and the play button is readible again. Same with the desktop icon.

Basically, what IS wrong with my laptop? Why does it hate Skyrim??

Sooo, the basic problem for not running apparently is that even after the umphteenth time de-and reinstalling Skyrim the lines MSVPC140.dll and VCRUNTIME140.dll are still not loaded with it. I tried to contact the Steam Support on this problem, but so far no answer (after nearly two days). Has anyone had the same problem and knows how to fix it?

Edited by Shahariel