Freezing issue?

DrPepper715

Hello everyone,

lately i have been playing fallout 3 on my gaming pc (not going to get into specs because i'm lazy, ask for them below if needed) and i killed a raider in power armor by Chevy Chase east metro. after i killed the raider, the corpse fell down the escalator and then out of boredom i picked up the corpse and "resurrected" it using the console and after the 3rd time I killed her, her body fell down the escalator and my game froze. not like it does sometimes where I have to restart or use task manager but this time the game and my computer came to a complete STOP once the corpse of the raider hit the floor.

I let my computer sit for a bit to see if it would say it crashed but i looked at the computer itself and the light that tells you when it is running, was not blinking at all (red). So after a while I reset my computer and then once it booted the startup it said that my computer was damaged? it had to do a scan to see what was causing the problem but it could not find anything. I knew though, that it was the game freezing.

Now every time I play the game, I worry when I kill an enemy that my computer will come to a complete Halt when the dead body hits the floor.

(Its late so sorry for my bad grammar, spelling, punctuation etc.)

Is there a way to prevent this from happening? like could I change something in the FALLOUT.ini text thing???

And finally, what was the REAL source of the crash (freeze) if you know. Try to answer if you can.

Thanks!

DrPepper715 - Hello!

Resurrecting, especially repeatedly, can sometimes cause oddities. Especially if scripts are involved on the subject, so that occurrence may be down to that.

The fact you mention freezing happening before though sounds like the Fallout 3 multi core bug, freezing in Fallout 3 almost always is due to this.

Fallout 3 has trouble with multi core computers, mainly with ones that have more than two cores & use hyperthreading.

So if you have a multi core computer it's likely that.

There is a fix, you need to edit your Fallout 3 .ini file.

The one you want to change is:

For XP:

My Documents\My Games\Fallout3\

For Vista & Win7:

Documents\My Games\Fallout3

The file you want will be called:

FALLOUT.ini

Open the .ini with Notepad & change this line:

bUseThreadedAI=0

to:

bUseThreadedAI=1

& insert this line under it: