NVSE, 7-zip, Game not Opening Problems

Porky715

So I recently decided to mod FNV, downloaded NexusModManager, went mod hunting on YT and found like 13 mods I liked. I downloaded all the needed mods for those mods, except NVSE, I saw somewhere that for NVSE I need to download 7-zip, I did side by side directions, with few discrepancies since it was a 9 month old video and they had a newer/differ version(?). And in the end i couldnt seem to make the archive folder for 7-zip since the .7zip folder wasn't anywhere. I tried to play game to see and now the game wont even finish start, it will crash 5 seconds into loading. I'd really hope and appreciate whether someone where to personally help me, or send me to a discord/forum where others can help me. Also if someone where to help me through Discord, or a Steam call , I'd appreciate it even more.

7Zip is an "application/program" which gets installed to the operating system in it's own folder, much like the game does. When installed properly, it's folder gets added to the "search path" used when Windows goes looking for an executable file located elsewhere than the current "default" directory. If you download the "exe" version of the file from the original 7Zip.org site, you should then run the "exe" file from the downloaded location. If, OTOH, you downloaded the "zip" version of the file, then you need to "unpack" the archive using the builtin Windows functionality to some folder and then run the installer from that location. The installer will add the install folder to the search path for you.

7Zip is not a game mod, so NMM doesn't really know where it should go or how to unpack it. You should have NMM configured to download files from the web to a separate folder than where you subsequently "install" the unpacked mods. If you used NMM to download it from the Nexus, then it should be in the configured "download" folder. Otherwise it would be placed in your browser's default "download" folder. (Typically this is the "C:\Users\<YourAccountName>\Downloads" folder.)

Edit: Note that if you download a file while logged in as the "Administrator" account, that will be a different "User" than normal. This is often the cause of "missing" files. You will not normally be able to access the download folder under a different "User" account unless you are logged in as an "Admin"; and normal accounts cannot access the "Admin" User tree. (Just another reason to not normally run as "Admin".)

Also, most "mod managers" have problems correctly installing NVSE, so you should do so "manually". Please see the 'Checklist Item #4' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

I recommend anyone read the entire "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article to understand the differences between this game and others you may have experience with; especially if this is your first attempt to play a modded FNV or it's been more than a year since you last set it up. It is designed for someone who has never played a modded PC game before, so it tries to avoid making any assumptions, is kept "up-to-date", and covers years of "lessons learned". It is NOT a list of various mods to install that happen to work on the author's machine. It addresses fundamentals underlying how to get the basic game and mods to work together. At least 90% of everything I post in the "Technical Support" sub-forum is already in that article.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent