Future

nicodevil

Hi,

I'm Nico, it's my first post, glad to be with you :-)

I have this in mind since Morrowind and Doom 3. I'am sad to not have enough time to mod, to play and to live my life at the same time.

Mods are their own plague, I have downloaded gigabyte of data, spending days to browse and test, to reinstall, to restart game...

I'm a 35+ player and for each Bethesda games it's the same ritual and I assume you have, like me, "loose some time" that could have been use to mod or play or anything else.

There is thousand of great modders, alone or in a small team, they all have the same goal, deliver the best gaming experience and release the best mod.

And as they all have the same goal, a collaborative work could benefit to every one.

Until 2016 and the Skyrim successor, we have 3 years to think how can we mix modding pleasure without out keep playing and spending time with kids and friends.

Did it worth being discuted ?

Yes it's a bit strange... sorry

Can the mod system be changed in order to give more time to mod and play instead of browsing, downloading, updating, testing, etc... ?

And how to change it ?

"How" ideas like:

Online mod tools for collaborative modding (imagine if the numbers of people who work on textures could work together, same for the weaponry guys, and the ENB guys...)

Merging team that merge abandoned mods into a big one (with permission of the author and by vote of the members)

Health modding politics like clean mod, good versionning and naming convention

Online mod tools are readily available. And are already used extensively. Collaborative tools are also used. :thumbsup: Some of your other suggestions will go against the independent mentality of a lot of modders. When one member of a team wants to do it one way, and another member wants to do it another way - that leads to schisms of mod teams. Then there is the scope of the mod - one wants a mod to be one type, say a quest. Another wants to focus on the artistic parts - improving eye candy - another schism. Like any artists, modders tend to be independent in their thinking - and often hard headed to boot. Herding cats has nothing on trying to manage a mod team for a fair sized mod. :pinch: Very few mod teams last more than a few months. :confused:

To modders, creating a mod IS the game. Playing is secondary. - I know some modders who have never finished the game and spend hundreds of hours on mods. Why would I want to waste my time playing a game when I can mod it into something different? :cool:

Unlike a game company where these same artists will often sacrifice their notions of what the mod should be for a paycheck.

Some of the very best mods were done mostly by a single person with help from a few others along the way. :biggrin:

As far as the system, we are stuck mostly with whatever crumbs the game makers throw us. If we get a decent construction kit that is more than we get from most game companies. The other tools are mostly free and sometimes not up to the quality of a commercial program costing over a thousand dollars per copy. We do what we can with the tools we can get (or afford). :whistling:

Believe me the 'system' today is far better than just a few years ago when modders were lumped in with hackers and persecuted by the game makers. :yes: