Doubletapping key script

Medusa30

I tried to make a script to detect if someone is double tapping a key to trigger a spell, but it doesnt seem to work:

Scriptname AsenSpiritJump extends ObjectReference
{Spirit Jump Ability}

import utility
import game

Spell Property YourSpell Auto

Event OnUpdate()
	if TapKey(GetMappedKey("Forward"))
		utility.wait(0.4)
		if TapKey(GetMappedKey("Forward"))
			YourSpell.cast(Game.GetPlayer())
		endif
	endif
EndEvent

Also I get this error message for building the script:

Starting 1 compile threads for 1 files...
Compiling "AsenSpiritJump"...
g:\valve\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\AsenSpiritJump.psc(10,11): GetMappedKey is not a function or does not exist
g:\valve\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\AsenSpiritJump.psc(10,4): TapKey is not a function or does not exist
g:\valve\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\AsenSpiritJump.psc(12,12): GetMappedKey is not a function or does not exist
g:\valve\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\AsenSpiritJump.psc(12,5): TapKey is not a function or does not exist
No output generated for AsenSpiritJump, compilation failed.

Batch compile of 1 files finished. 0 succeeded, 1 failed.
Failed on AsenSpiritJump

Im using this SKSE http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=31737 (at least I hope so, cause I didnt found the installer for it and just activated it through NMM). Can you please help me?

Papyrus requires you to qualify the script that a function is in, unless you "import" it. GetMappedKey is in the Input script. So you need to call it with "Input.GetMappedKey", or use "import Input".

Also, make 200% certain that you actually have Input.pex in your Data\Scripts folder.

I don't really get what you're trying to do with the TapKey function. In my understanding, it's for faking, or simulating a key press by script, not for checking for an actual key press from the player. To be honest, I never made a script for checking a key to be double-tapped before. I tried, and this is what I've got so far:

Scriptname AsenSpiritJump extends ReferenceAlias
{Spirit Jump Ability}

int ForwardKey
int counter
bool KeyPressed

Event OnInit()
	ForwardKey = Input.GetMappedKey("Forward")
	RegisterForKey(ForwardKey)
EndEvent

Event OnKeyUp(Int KeyCode, Float HoldTime)
	if KeyCode == ForwardKey
		RegisterForSingleUpdate(0.1)
	endif
EndEvent

Event OnUpdate()
	counter += 1
	if KeyPressed != Input.IsKeyPressed(ForwardKey)
		KeyPressed = !KeyPressed
		if KeyPressed			
		endif
	endif
	if counter <= 3
		RegisterForSingleUpdate(0.1)
	else
		counter = 0
	endif
EndEvent

For testing, I made a simple quest and put the script on an alias of the player, that's why it extends ReferenceAlias.

Maybe the script needs to be tweaked a little to suit your purpose, but I hope it helps.

Yeah, that TapKey thing was my mistake, I wanted to create a quickspell script for fast teleporting. Anyway, thank you really much Ghaunadaur & unuroboros! You helped me alot. I tweaked it a bit for my purpose:

Scriptname AsenSpiritJump extends ObjectReference
{Spirit Jump Ability}

import utility
import game
import input

int ForwardKey
int property counter = 0 auto
bool KeyPressed

Event OnInit()
	ForwardKey = Input.GetMappedKey("Forward")
	RegisterForKey(ForwardKey)
EndEvent

Event OnKeyUp(Int KeyCode, Float HoldTime)
	if KeyCode == ForwardKey && HoldTime <= 1
		counter += 1
		RegisterForSingleUpdate(0.01)
	else
		counter = 0
	endif
EndEvent

Event OnUpdate()
	if counter == 2
		counter = 0
	endif
	if counter <= 3
		RegisterForSingleUpdate(0.01)
	else
		counter = 0
	endif
EndEvent

It works really nice: by fast tipping the forward key twice the spell (I tested with VoiceIceForm3) was fired, but walking around didnt trigger it, just as intended.

BTW: when I tried to load my mod and the flash step mod into the CK for using its teleport spell for further testing, after saving my mod the game started crashing on load screen even if I remove all mods. But thats off-topic.

*EDIT*

Fixed my Crash issue.

Edited by Medusa30

I'm guessing you needed a clean save? That happens to me a lot, I keep a clean on-hand at all times now. :p

I am a big fan of double-tap keybinds in other games (GW2 in particular) so I'm glad you got it worked out! Is this a mod you'll be releasing on Nexus?

I'm guessing you needed a clean save? That happens to me a lot, I keep a clean on-hand at all times now. :P

I am a big fan of double-tap keybinds in other games (GW2 in particular) so I'm glad you got it worked out! Is this a mod you'll be releasing on Nexus?

Not exactly, I needed to repair my game with BOSS and TES5Edit, the save was ok. :P

Me too, thats why Im doing it (I love that from GW2, SR3 and the recent Batman games :P). I was looking for mods that adds nagas (you know, those lamia nagas), but didnt find any. So I decided to do the hard work and make a naga race on my own with petrifying eyes, special abilities like flash steps (short range teleports or spirit jumps as I call them) and a couple of other gameplay twists. I wanted to manage that for the cryengine3 first, but I realized that I suck at programming, so I wanted to make a smaller project for Skyrim which is more modding friendly. ;)

Edited by Medusa30

• 1 month later...

Papyrus requires you to qualify the script that a function is in, unless you "import" it. GetMappedKey is in the Input script. So you need to call it with "Input.GetMappedKey", or use "import Input".

Also, make 200% certain that you actually have Input.pex in your Data\Scripts folder.

You would also need Input.psc (otherwise your mod won't compile) -- you only need the .psc file when compiling a script.

And if you want to release your mod -- you would only need to include the .pex file (unless you wanted to enable people to alter/modify your script, and then you would need to supply the .psc file as well)

Edited by NeoH4x0r