Nvidia LOD Bias setting having no effect on Skyrim

Thane411

I have to play at 960x1080 at the moment and its causing some blurriness and also, I can't seem to quite replicate the 16 AF results I see in tweaking tutorials, like on the Nvidia website. I wondered if maybe they reduced the AF strength to reduce texture flickering.

That aside, i would like to up the detail of textures at a distance if i can through the Lod Bias setting. If anyone knows how or what might be locking it, i'd appreciate the info.

AF jsut sharpens textures at a distance,,and ususally only needs to be 2x or 4x unless you play at super high size,like 3000x2000 or something.It also don't cause ot help texture flickering.It depends on your videocard itself,if it's older,or low end,it might be having issues with higher quality textures.FXAA can cause blurriness,since it's a fast form of AA,if enabled.Here's an example of my settings in nvidia control panel for the GTX650 http://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/images/31119-1-1361660956.jpg .I let the games set the settings,since setting it in both can be too much overkill.

I use 2 GTX 570s with the new 314 drivers. I have 16AF, but its still a little too blurry (yes, at distances and off of perpedicular), bumping it up a nudge should do wonders. I run from FXAA when using low resolutions.

Are you saying the lod bias setting responds to changes for you?

LOD BIAS you won't see a big change if it's on clamp or not,it only helps reduce a few tiny almost unnoticable issues with AF.AA,AF,and FXAA will make the most difference between sharp and blurry.Is 1960x1080 your monitor's normal resolution?If it's lower,then you should change it back,or it may be partly causing the issue.I would suggest disabling FXAA in drivers and in Skyrim,and using 4xAA and see if you see a big difference.I know if you go over 4xAA it can start looking blurrier on edges especially.Also,are oyu using mods that may affext graphics,like ENB,or injectors?Maybe put a screenshot so we can see the blurriness.

Edited by Belial666

Thanks, but i've tried many, many combinations of settings and mipmap .ini setting changes to see if it affected the textures themselves. FXAA is not on. I do not use ENB. I've tried different settings of AA , but Skyrim uses proper AA, which only effects edges, Im concerned about the model faces. A large part of the blurring is due to the scaling from 960x1080, although from my experience, Skyrim seems a little short on AF - so i need an extra boost, which could be achieved with negative lod bias.

Again, my lod bias does absolutely nothing, thats what im trying to troubleshoot, but i wonder if they locked it to prevent shimmering or flicker.

EDIT: Oops

Well,you keep saying 960x1080,I hope oyu mean 1960x1080.You shoujld always keep your monitor at max supported resolution and refresh,for best quality.If you lower it to an odd size it will never look sharper,since it is squishing things.I see huge difference in the AF settings.You really need to show a screenshot,so we can see what type of blur you're talking about.What settings are you using?Ultra,low,medium?People's faces are low quality,best to get a face replacer if that's what you're talking about.I'd also suggest deleting Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini and let it make new ones.

Im using 3D, which has certain limitations on current 3DTV's, so it must remain at 1820x720 (not 960x1080 as i said earlier, since ive switched displays). Its using side-by-side 3D format, but none of that is important. Its not squishing things, its taking a small image and blowing it up to full screen, which stretches it out. I also get a difference is AF settings, but i need more detail than 16x currently provides.

If your not sure what im talking about as far as lod bias, im sure there are youtube videos showing the comparison, or screenshot comparisons you can search for. If you have Crysis 2, you can try it yourself, i've tested it.

Anyone else get LOD bias to respond in Skyrim?

Now I see,you're using the inspector to change settings.In the normal video settings there's only 2 settings.When you say the image is stretched to fit,that only shows it'll be blurry and harder to see any difference.Get a 512x512 image and increase it to 512x1024,and you'll see the blur,and it's alot harder to sharpen.Now that I iknow why wou are using odd resolution,you'll need to buy 3DTV Play .There's a 14 day trial,and I'm sure it's probaly what you need.It's free to try,and should hopefully help.