power helmet Interface idea

vash22

actually i'm doing something kinda like that for my AZO as i'm "preparing" for the armor pass...

i'm playing a bit with night vision and opponents who get "highlighted" depending if they are frendly or hostile... it works but for sure doesnt look remotely as the video one :P

Those pics are pretty impressive. I like the body status indicator, maybe in this mod we could throw in a duplicate of the pip-boy status display? It already pops up momentarily when you get crippled, so that shouldn't be too hard to do.

I was thinking something along this line using the pip-boy method, but the pip-boy and other interfaces are NPCs that freeze time and take your input away.

Maybe it's possible to write an effect script for an item enchant that shows more UI data and that scan-line/fuzz look?

The pip-boy light toggle could be modded for a night-vision filter and check for the effect or helmet item when activated to swap between light or night-vision effect. An extended hud readout would draw right on top of the existing one in all the right places until you remove the helm/goggles. Of course with all that work I would also write a helmet appearance pip-boy interface that would be shown if the helmet is on and you activate pip-boy.

Oh and I have no idea on the vats effect, I would just turn on whole body VATS outlines when night-vision comes on so you can easily see them if I knew how to force it to show.

I was thinking something along this line using the pip-boy method, but the pip-boy and other interfaces are NPCs that freeze time and take your input away.

Maybe it's possible to write an effect script for an item enchant that shows more UI data and that scan-line/fuzz look?

The pip-boy light toggle could be modded for a night-vision filter and check for the effect or helmet item when activated to swap between light or night-vision effect. An extended hud readout would draw right on top of the existing one in all the right places until you remove the helm/goggles. Of course with all that work I would also write a helmet appearance pip-boy interface that would be shown if the helmet is on and you activate pip-boy.

Oh and I have no idea on the vats effect, I would just turn on whole body VATS outlines when night-vision comes on so you can easily see them if I knew how to force it to show.

that might have been the most beautiful thing i have ever read in my life. you just put everything that was inside of my head (and more) and couldnt get out into words.

also, Skree000 that is really cool looking. originaly i was thinking more of a metal helmet look instead of a futuristic computer look but now i realise your design would make much more sense and looks better too! i think you hit the nail on the head with your design.

and i agree that there should be some form of filter, but the problem is that is has to be a powerful enough color so that people dont forget that its there but it also has to be light enough that you notice when night vision is on. also i think that the filter should have the same color as the pipboy3000, that way people can choose which color they want.

i cant believe the response im getting from this idea. this web site and its community are much better than ones iv been on in the past.

i cant believe the response im getting from this idea. this web site and its community are much better than ones iv been on in the past.

Well, it was and is a good idea. And you found the right community, I suppose. In the end though, this would be a bit of fun innovation, help us learn more about Fallout 3, and yet isn't a "Hey, make my idea for me" thread. It helps that you ended it with saying that you don't care if you get any credit, you just want to see it done. That's the spirit that I, and I imagine much of the modding community, respect. I like recognition when I do work, but it's the work that matters.

That's why there are certain Oblivion modders I find very aggravating. They're all up in arms the moment anyone does anything with their stuff. When someone fixed a glitch in one of my mods and reuploaded it, I thanked him, and told people to go download the fixed version he uploaded.

I'll be interested to see where this all goes. I'm a angel for overcomplex visor HUDs, as long as they don't block the vision too much. (Which most with anything solid do.)

I'm in favour of anything that improves power armour.

To be honest, it seems underpowered, still allows you to be super agile, doesn't affect or improve vision and makes no audible difference to footsteps.

Power armour is a big part of the game, it's worth fixing, I hope someone takes on the challenge. A power helmet interface is definitely a good idea.

To be honest, it seems underpowered, still allows you to be super agile, doesn't affect or improve vision and makes no audible difference to footsteps.

Power armour is a big part of the game, it's worth fixing, I hope someone takes on the challenge. A power helmet interface is definitely a good idea.

The Power Armor in the base game was balanced based on a relatively consistent scheme. The only problem is, Power Armor is NOT comparable to other types of armor. Power Armor is a full-body covering exosuit, and built like a tank. Lore states that it should be essentially 100% resistant to radiation when in prime condition. There are massive lore and plot holes in the very important plot scene where

your Dad kills himself and two Enclave soldiers in an attempt to keep them from getting Project Purity. Ironically, the Advanced Power Armor MkII the Enclave soldiers were wearing did nothing to stop the radiation, but a quick injection of "plot device" made Autumn come out unharmed.

To quote the Fallout Vault Wikia:

Made of the poly-laminate composite, the T-51b shell is lightweight and capable of absorbing over 2500 Joules of kinetic impact. The 10 micron silver ablative coating can reflect laser and radiation emissions without damage to the composite subsurface.

Anyone wearing any model more advanced than the T-51b, such as any Enclave soldiers, should be nigh invulnerable to radiation or any small arms, excluding high powered rifles. An AK-47 using 7.62mm ammo only produces 2,045 joules on impact, an M1 Carbine using .30 ammo only 1,308 joules. A Winchester using .30-30 rounds barely crosses the threshold at 2,560 joules. A M2 Browning machine gun, however, uses it .50 caliber bullets to greatly surpass the threshold at 17,149 joules. Some more recent sniper rifles also use .50 caliber rounds. :wink:

Where did I get that information? These links:

Power Armor - http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Armor

Approximate Ballistics - http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=ballistics

The BoS in the Capital Wasteland are using T-4x model Power Armor (Believed to be T-47), which is far less agile and uses riveted metal plates as opposed to the poly-laminate composite of the T-51b. Even still, I imagine it would be heavily radiation resistant and withstand impact forces not much worse than the T-51b, meaning that anything less than the Chinese Assault Rifle, Hunting Rifle, or Sniper Rifle should be completely ineffective.

But that's perhaps a bit off topic. FYI, there are already mods released which make the Power Armor less pathetic and much closer to canon (without unbalancing things too much), such as this one:

● Power Armor Improved

Actually, it's been updated since I last downloaded it. Hooray! :happy:

• 2 weeks later...
FYI, there are already mods released which make the Power Armor less pathetic and much closer to canon (without unbalancing things too much)

when i thought of this idea i already knew that mod existed, along with the footstepsound mod. but even those mods didnt make the power armor ingame seem immersive in the slightest. i figured you had sound immersion,'feel' immersion, so the only other sense that i thought could be improved was sight immersion.

Also, i never knew the armor was supposed to be that powerful! thx for the lesson teach :thumbsup: .

The VATS target highlighting effect, as well as other cool visual effects, has been incorporated in the AZ Overhaul, check it out!

AZOverhaul link

I'm not too impressed by the rest of it (I prefer to balance my own weapons and armor to my personal idea of realism), but that was an impressive feat. The thermals even look like real, gray-scale thermal goggles. With some minor improvements and polishing that visual effect package could be epic.

The Power Armor in the base game was balanced based on a relatively consistent scheme. The only problem is, Power Armor is NOT comparable to other types of armor. Power Armor is a full-body covering exosuit, and built like a tank. Lore states that it should be essentially 100% resistant to radiation when in prime condition. There are massive lore and plot holes in the very important plot scene where

your Dad kills himself and two Enclave soldiers in an attempt to keep them from getting Project Purity. Ironically, the Advanced Power Armor MkII the Enclave soldiers were wearing did nothing to stop the radiation, but a quick injection of "plot device" made Autumn come out unharmed.

To quote the Fallout Vault Wikia:

Made of the poly-laminate composite, the T-51b shell is lightweight and capable of absorbing over 2500 Joules of kinetic impact. The 10 micron silver ablative coating can reflect laser and radiation emissions without damage to the composite subsurface.

Anyone wearing any model more advanced than the T-51b, such as any Enclave soldiers, should be nigh invulnerable to radiation or any small arms, excluding high powered rifles. An AK-47 using 7.62mm ammo only produces 2,045 joules on impact, an M1 Carbine using .30 ammo only 1,308 joules. A Winchester using .30-30 rounds barely crosses the threshold at 2,560 joules. A M2 Browning machine gun, however, uses it .50 caliber bullets to greatly surpass the threshold at 17,149 joules. Some more recent sniper rifles also use .50 caliber rounds. :wink:

Where did I get that information? These links:

Power Armor - http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Armor

Approximate Ballistics - http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=ballistics

The BoS in the Capital Wasteland are using T-4x model Power Armor (Believed to be T-47), which is far less agile and uses riveted metal plates as opposed to the poly-laminate composite of the T-51b. Even still, I imagine it would be heavily radiation resistant and withstand impact forces not much worse than the T-51b, meaning that anything less than the Chinese Assault Rifle, Hunting Rifle, or Sniper Rifle should be completely ineffective.

But that's perhaps a bit off topic. FYI, there are already mods released which make the Power Armor less pathetic and much closer to canon (without unbalancing things too much), such as this one:

● Power Armor Improved

Actually, it's been updated since I last downloaded it. Hooray! :happy:

Well you also have to figure that a bullet never hits its target with muzzle energy, as it's lost quite a bit to wind resistance on the flight, but either way you're absolutely right. Enclave troops should scare the hell out of players by being near indestructible unless you've got high power energy weapons (like a plasma rifle or gatling laser) or some heavy ordnance. It would also give players like me a moment of pause when contemplating whiping out the Outcasts to loot Fort Independence.

And as for rad resistance... If the guys at Vault-Tec knew how high the odds of a nuclear exchange were, than I'm sure the US Government saw it first and designed these suits to be ready for that possibility.

I think that this problem should first be addressed with a simple overlay while wearing a Power Helmet:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn291/FullMetalPatriot/helmet.jpg

Something simple which conveys the impression of wearing a high-tech helmet. It should have Night Vision (maybe that can be toggled) and a constricting FOV, but probably something better than that rush-job I did up there.

Most players WANT to wear Power Armour because it gives so many bonuses with so few offsets, and this FOV decrease should be an offset.