Vsync problems.

dmxdex2020

Using ipresentinterval causes my framerate to be lower and more irratic Turning it off sort that problem out however the tearing on fallout 3 isnt that good for my screen.

I tried to use the normal nvidia vsync or the ingame vsync but it doesnt work.

Any ideas?

dmxdex2020 - Hello!

Setting iPresentInterval=0 turns off Vsync in Fallout 3 which can gain some FPS but usually at the cost of tearing as you found.

I leave on the game's Vsync but activate Triple Buffering in Catalyst Control Center as my card has good size memory, it makes up for the Vsync.

I would imagine your Nvidia has a Triple Buffering option too.

These settings are discussed in more detail here:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_5.html

"Using ipresentinterval causes my framerate to be lower and more irratic"

I note the irratic part there, do you mean your game sort of slows or speed up like a messed up film in places?

That could be micro stutter, I get that with my quad core. I fixed it by using the excellent Stutter Remover:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/8886

I use the older FSR_4-0-7 version.

You can tweak the .ini that comes with it to set the FPS to what suits you. You may need to try a few FPS variations before you get it just right or you may find the default works for you straight off.

That smooths the game right out nicely & as I say I still use the games default Vsync.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Setting iPresentInterval=0 turns off Vsync in Fallout 3 which can gain some FPS but usually at the cost of tearing as you found.

This is a common mistake. While this is an option in other game engines to increase FPS at the expense of screen-tearing, it's a very bad idea with Gamebryo. The engine literally updates at your graphics framerate, which is why FPS should always be capped, and disabling v-sync causes other wierdness and timing issues.

Edited by luthienanarion

dmxdex2020 - Hello!

I leave on the game's Vsync but activate Triple Buffering in Catalyst Control Center as my card has good size memory, it makes up for the Vsync.

I would imagine your Nvidia has a Triple Buffering option too.

These settings are discussed in more detail here:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_5.html

"Using ipresentinterval causes my framerate to be lower and more irratic"

I note the irratic part there, do you mean your game sort of slows or speed up like a messed up film in places?

That could be micro stutter, I get that with my quad core. I fixed it by using the excellent Stutter Remover:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/8886

I use the older FSR_4-0-7 version.

You can tweak the .ini that comes with it to set the FPS to what suits you. You may need to try a few FPS variations before you get it just right or you may find the default works for you straight off.

That smooths the game right out nicely & as I say I still use the games default Vsync.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Why are you using the older version instead of the newer?

dmxdex2020 - Hello!

"Why are you using the older version instead of the newer?"

I've used the older version before the update came out without any problems & I've never been compelled to update. If it aint broke... etc. :)

I've nothing against the update, it's just that I've never used it much whereas I've run with the 4.0.7 version for a long time & can thoroughly recommend that one.

As to Vsync, as I said above, I leave it on to prevent the tearing & use Triple Buffering.

The Stutter Remover fixes the micro stutter & runs the game smoothly.

Prensa