Power Armor nuclear meltdown?

r4y30n

I'm sure everyone knows the power armor suits are fusion powered, except maybe the T-45/T-47, in the older games it's mentioned that the the T-45d burns through energy cells, but the FO3 variants don't, who knows. Anyways, I always thought it was odd that all the junked cars never fail to meltdown and explode when they've been rusting away for two centuries, whereas working fusion powered tech like Power armor won't.

Would it be possible to script power armor to explode if the torso is crippled? It would definitely add a new element of danger to using it (to counter the amazing power it grants the user; well in my mod anyways) as well as a new strategy when attacking squads of Outcasts or Enclave soldiers. And since it would be tied to the crippled torso, the power armor would not blow up on every kill; if you wanted to avoid a nuclear warzone, shoot 'em in the head!

I saw this thread yesterday, then saw it again today, thinking there would be a bunch of replies.

Conceptually, I think it's a cool idea for a mod, but I never use power armor anyways so it wouldn't affect me much in the risk department. It would make close-ranged combat with Enclave soldiers much more interesting though. Similarly, I think flamers should potentially explode when you cripple the weapon while they're holding it.

I don't know how hard it would be to script, and you'd have to add the script to all the power armor in the game, so anyone with modded power armor scripts would break your mod, or vice versa.

Also, I personally prefer giving the armor a chance of exploding, rather than always exploding. It *is* the most protective and advanced armor in the game, so the odds are fairly good it was designed to withstand a hard beating without killing its user and his/her allies.

The commands are there to do it - at least as far as the GECK site describes them.

if ([ActorREF].GetHitLocation 0 == 1 && GetLastHitCritical == 1) ; was I hit in the chest and was it a Critical hit
 -- do something on a random chance to make me go up like a nuclear firecracker while I'm still alive
endif

if ([ActorREF].GetDead == 1  && [ActorREF].IsLimbGone 0); I'm dead and my Torso is crippled
 -- do something to randomly make my corpse go BOOOOM!
endif

Using GetCauseOfDeath You could also script it to happen only on certain types of death like Explosion or Gun, but not through Hand-2-Hand, Blunt/Melee, Poison etc. which would be more realistic - no cracking the Fusion Containment Cell by launching a TeddyBear at 'em :P

@ Fosley

...Wouldn't he just need to add a script that runs anytime an NPC is killed, which would first check to see if they are wearing PA (ActorREF.GetEquipped PowerArmorREF == 1). No need to add it to the Armors, which as you suggest would be troublesome for modded PA's, just run it anytime an NPC is killed.

I guess you could use a global script, but I've not messed with those, so I don't know how well they work. The biggest problem is trapping the "gethit" event on the player and every NPC. You'd have to run a script that, every single frame of the game, checks all the people in the area to see if they got hit this frame, then if they're wearing power armor, then if the hit qualifies for random ka-boom. By limiting the script to power armor items, you're only running the scripts for the people who have power armor. So if you're in a cave full of Deathclaws wearing Combat Armor, the script isn't still wasting precious CPU cycles.

Also, I'm not sure if there are any gethit events (blocktypes) in the vanilla toolset.

Alright so I've got two questions.

First, what would I write to make it explode (with the car nuke explosion) after I've checked if the actor is dead and the torso is crippled?

Second, how do I get the ActorREF? Is there a way to tell it to apply the effect on any actor wearing it?

Ha, well supercritical is the condition that causes a melt-down, critical just means the reactor's running normally.

Anyways, I would appreciate the help of any experienced scripter; as it is I'm trying to condense my current power armor mod (3 esp's at the moment) down to one. I've currently got a nice setup giving me strength, protection, speed and nightvision; adding occasional run-away reactors will be the icing on the cake.

Archived