[LE] Weird initialization bug with mod

Shadohz

I created a Half-Moon Mill playerhome as a mod request. It's a pretty simple mod. Only took a day to make and has a simple quest with NPCs added.

What I have a problem with is this weird startup behavior with the mod. Attached are "Build 02" and "Build 03". They are exactly the same but exhibit different behavior.

Build 02: Is set to "Change Location Event". The quest starts as it should. Once you enter Dead Man's Drink the quest starts up. You speak to Rongise and everything works fine from there. However if you reload from a clean save (that doesn't have this mod initialized) Rongise will not appear at the inn. I even tried using "player moveto" to bring him to me but it threw back an error that it was unable to find the ObjectReference. Rongise RefId is "xx000d65" if you want to duplicate that error.

The behavior persists even when exiting to the Main menu then loading a clean save. You have to completely exit the game and return in order for the quest to work properly. You don't have to play the whole mini-quest. Just go to Dead Man's Drink, confirm Rongise is there, reload your clean save, go to DMD again and confirm he's missing.

Build 03: Is set to "Start Game Enabled". The odd behavior here is if you go straight to Rongise he will not speak to you at all. You must do a save after the mod is initialized, reload the new save, then he will speak. It isn't location specific meaning you can save immediately after the starting the game up then reload that save to avoid the behavior.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18NfNrzlXbDjSWN6rNkfdOf9kRfR-vXjz/view?usp=sharing

Can anyone else duplicate this issue on their system? Was there something I forget to do? I looked up related issues for hours and came up with nothing.

Build 02: It could be a bunch of different things causing this, for example:

- Your Npc is "Initially Disabled" and it gets enabled only with a specific condition / event.

So, you see it's kind of hard to help you with this, since you are the only one sitting in front of your PC.

Build 03: You have to create a "SEQ" file for your quest in Tes5Edit, otherwise the quest will malfunction.

- If the quest starts for example, with a trigger box, then it's highly possible that your npc will talk to you.

- If the quest starts by talking to the npc and your quest does not have a "SEQ" file, the npc WILL NEVER TALK !, only by making a save and loading that save the npc will talk, but even with this the npc's dialogue might malfunction without a "SEQ" file further down the quest line.

SEQ files needs to be updated with every change you make to your quest or whenever you add a new quest.

All testing of the quest needs always to be done in save files that have never seen the mod in question, EVERY TIME !!.

Have a happy modding.

I always use the same clean/unmodded test saves. Use them for years. Consistency is a requirement.

I created an SEQ file originally with TES5 because I had to make an edit to Hert. The "Change Location" build wouldn't make it of course. Anyway after you mentioned it I noticed the SEQ folder no longer existed where I had the Scripts folder. I may have deleted with an earlier build re-test or by another process. Not sure. I recreated it and the second issue no longer reproduces.

The first issue however I can reproduce consistently. I even added an aliasRef.disable and aliasRef.enable at Stage 0 (start up stage) to force this particular actor to disable and re-enable to see perhaps that can act as a failsafe. His default state is already enabled. Since the secondary issue is resolved I'll ignore the first, though this behavior is curious.

Thanks.

Edited by Shadohz