NEW !!! Power armor !!!

flickone

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dammit, looks like I'll have to teach myself Zbrush if I'm to match the quality of this armour in terms of details and wtfawesomeness on any future models I'll be doing if I am to compete with work like this. Not that modding in any way is a competition, but it's always good to set yourself some goals when it comes to improving your skills.

In any case, the armour looks goddamned awesome to say the least, and I'm almost ashamed of my own work - but only almost considering it's all made in Max which is a feat in itself :P.

Can't wait to read more on the progress of this model. :thumbsup:

Neunen: that rough is a sculpture you just need to make a rough alpha in zbrush and sculp it on low intensity. Ill try to tune it up more :smile:

Jackpacj: sure mate send me what youv got :happy:

Bealkin: Yea mate i reccomend you to learn zbrush its fun just dont forget to get wacom tablet for it.

your armor model is nicely shpaed i think with some imagination you can create hell alots of details. I just havnt seen wires of your model. Good luck there ... watch some sculpting tutorials

anyway thx for nice comments guys ... stay tunned for moto

Awesome Flick. You really like embellishments :) lots of tiny details! I like the plugsockets on the legs. very sexy.

I know you are hard at work on it, and its still very early, but ill give some thoughts for now :)

just remember flick, keep the entire piece in your minds eye at once and pay attention to the 'larger shapes' in the textures, paying attention to the tiny details is great, but keeping everything in perspective its always best to try not to focus too deeply on the microscopic details alone. try overlaying some huge broad sweeping layers of grunge/grime, and play with filter options in photoshop that will add them in as tonal variations, instead of grime. (using the grime/grunge textures merely as a mask). When i say 'huge' i mean broad strokes of texture that sweep across the entire leg, boot to hip etc.

Layers layers layers! Once you get that into photoshop, play around with tons of free textures from www.cgtextures.com, take special care to implement copious amounts of paint chips, scrapes, scratches, rust, abrasions, and overall the most important things are large patterns/shapes of light and dark contrast. Use these in blended filter layers with others to create overall more realistic effects. This will give your textures depth and allow the viewers eye to dance across the surface without being overpowering ('noisey' or 'busy') Larger more organic overlays also lend to the looks of the model by giving the eye a path around, an additional visual cue that supersedes the shape alone. (Your model is awesome, i hope your final textures will do it justice!)

keeping in mind what i said above, one of the most important things is Simplicity. I know it almost sounds like im contradicting the above paragraph, but....

everything in moderation. Add in all those extra layers of grime and grit, rust and decay, but remember Where on the model they will show up. Illogical grime in every corner of the model tends to look rushed.

I can see you put in the painstaking time and care to get in all those little details in zbrush, so i know you have what it takes to excel at the texturing step. Just requires aloooot of time invested making sure everything has a realistic sense of wear and use. (unless its factory fresh, inwhich case, well, i guess you're off the hook lol)

Dont be shy with scratches and pressing hard either, metal scratches really easily, have a look at the stock vanilla armor for some ideas on where the rotator caps on knees will grind with the shinpads etc.

finally, once you are done with your color/diffuse map, i REALLY hope you put serious consideration and care into making a good specular map. Specular maps are even more important than the normal map. Without specular information, the viewer has no idea whatsoever as to the 'quality/consistency/characteristics' of the material they are seeing. Every material reflects light in a different way. Dirt, rust, metal, plastic, rubber, glass... each has a different specular quality. Keep all of this in mind when you are doing your spec, and remember, High contrast specular maps are usually the most believable. (not because they are realistic, but because high contrast spec is SURREAListic. (just like in stage-plays where the actors put on white makeup and lipstick, so the people in the back of the room can still see their expressions, it makes things larger than life, more contrast really enhances the details, allowing them to be noticed. We know this is a computer game, so that works against the viewer when they are trying to suspend disbelief when looking at an object. We need to FORCE them to believe its realistic, by adding in material qualities they would expect.

ps. The overall intention/purpose/use of the texture will dictate how it should look, as far as level of detail and intricacies go. i know you really like adding glowbits and little tiny microscopic lines of glowing-ness, but i would advise against this overmuch. Try to concentrate on the larger shapes. Intricate detailing is nice and all, but the size-ratio of detail to big-shape geometry has to be a certain way, or else the models end up looking like massive starship hulls, ripe with windows, engine ports and plasma ducts. (unless your suit of armor is supposed to look like its bigger than a mountain). Typically objects of industrial manufacture, for human-scale anyways, are simplistic and function-forward. The areas of detail appear deliberate and intentional.

When you have an area you want to designate as a 'glowing bit' (perhaps a display, lights or lit up plugs etc), make them large and noticeable. make them look deliberate. The geometry around them should lend to their shape, making them look like they were planned to be there from the start. Making things up as you texture is fine, but when it comes to surface details in regards to emissive/glowing-ness... be cautious..

Tiny razor-thin glowing areas have a tendency to look almost like cracks or errors when viewed from anything except at extremely close range in game. Beware of this! You have an extremely nice model here, i hope you dont ruin it by putting hundreds of tiny super-thin glowing lines all over it. Remember the big shapes! ;) Think about the design, instead of making up stuff as you texture. It can be fun, but sticking to a plan of asthetic often tends to look more professional.

pps. glowing areas are usually 'framed' or 'reinforced' by thick bulky geometric seams or borders outlining the glowing area, this is usually because anything that glows tends to be fragile, ie. glass, plastic, etc. So simply overlaying many glowing lines in random locations on the armor tends to look aesthetically incorrect.

some examples of what i mean, taken from sci-fi:

Good use of glowy bits (these look deliberate like important structural elements):

(the purple lights, not the fire)

http://www.cardassiaprimera.com.ar/Jem-Hadar-Ships.jpg

bad use of glowy bits (they look like the model designers just threw them in at the last minute, 'just because'.)

http://www.cardassiaprimera.com.ar/Dominion-Battlecruiser-Ship.jpg

/rant over sorry LOL take my opinions as just that, opinions, hope i didnt sound too harsh :)