NEW !!! Power armor !!!

flickone

Your model is pretty good, I cut down you polycount by about 500 without losing any real visible change (those wires had too many for their size heh)

The unwrap looked pretty good, doing some parts over but for the most part its good, you just need to learn to pack your UVs more efficiently, but for someone who is learning and new, this is excellent so far.

Ill see if i can have this finished unwrapping tomorrow, time to get some sleep, ive been up late working on bf2142 weapons too much lately, no sleep = zzzzzzz@work lol

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it is anything to look at, I just used the old power helmet texture as a pallet, but here is a really quick job I did for fun:

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm228/Ciaranra/helmet1b.jpg

I can see at least one place were you can tone down the complexity of the mesh. For example, those two little scopes or laser sight thingies don't have to have a three dimensional hole. It is probably better to let the texture do that.

That looks fairly nice, although I'll have to disagree with you on those targeting thingies, in my opinion they look good the way they are.

He's not saying they'd look better as just a texture, just that as a texture they'd save polys (though to be honest I personally don't get why there is such an obession with lower poly counts, I assume it's a performance thing).

Yeah, smaller poly count would tend to be nicer to your machine. Besides you usually don't get right up to something, with your eye almost up to the thing to really need that much detail. Some places textures are just as good or almost as good the actual model. Why was computing power if you can get the same for less.

But if it doesn't affect it much. Fine with me. It is very pretty.

The easiest way to lose polies is on wires and thin cylindrical extrusions. especially on the backsides

All you need is a triangle-shaped tube to hold the shape, the back can be flat and the front can have a ridge to catch the light from 2 angles.

Combined with a proper normal map, it will look Identical to a normal wire/tube.

Additionally, the poster above speaks the truth. Most simple indentations and intrusions can be eliminated on the final model and a strong normal map used in its place.

If the textures are done properly, nobody will tell the difference. Its all about the quality of the high-poly model you used to generate the normal map, and how good your Render-To-Texture capture cage is. (if doing R2T in max)

Thats the other issue... all the Fallout 3 models were made in conjunction before or after a High poly version, which was used to generate their normal maps.

Without a high poly version only surface normals that imitate seams, ridges and texture details can be made. True normals that emulate complex shapes and forms are most easily created with a high poly source model, but that wont be the ingame model.

Oh and about texture sizes, if the texture still looks blurry with a 1024x1024 on it, something is wrong. That is more than enough texture space for any asset from a good distance away.

The whole idea behind choosing texture sizes relies on an evaluation of how far the asset will be to the camera and approx. how big it will be on the players screen. At typical resolution a texture that fills the screen only needs the resolution of no more than a 1024, maybe for some people a 2048 if they have insane huge monitors.

If your model looks blurry still, its a matter of making the UV unwrap more efficient. Ill see if i can crank one out for you tonight after work.

skree is right...

as i was looking on original fallout models i think they made a low res. mesh after that they made a some edits like making no thiangles and export it in zbrush or mudbox iam planning to the same thing gonna remove all the trianglesexport it in zbrush and do some nice skulpting and i will try to texture it in zbrush too.... but i dont get so exited couse iam terrible texture artist...

keep it coming guys :thumbsup:

how about this? found it browsing deviant art. not my art have to contact it's owner. Just a thought for the 2142 powered armor idea.

Now that, is some badass armor... I totally wanna see that in FO3