NEW !!! Power armor !!!

flickone

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiosity, what did you end up with as the final polycount for both the armour and helmet?

I know it's been listed here before, but I thought I'd re-ask in case you've made any changes recently after getting it fully fleshed out. :P

Okay your unwrap is done. Going to tweak this model cranking up its polycount to make a rough Hi-poly for normal map generation

So far the model sits at 3200 polys, which is pretty heavy... (6k tris ouch)

Going to see if i can get it down to atleast 3000 polys once I bake your normals for ya.

Ill texture it too if you want, i have some fun ideas for this one :)

Okay your unwrap is done. Going to tweak this model cranking up its polycount to make a rough Hi-poly for normal map generation

So far the model sits at 3200 polys, which is pretty heavy... (6k tris ouch)

Going to see if i can get it down to atleast 3000 polys once I bake your normals for ya.

Ill texture it too if you want, i have some fun ideas for this one :)

offcourse mate cant wait espessialy your work :closedeyes:

about the rest of the armor its still under development cant tell you about polycount right now...

http://www.kolcrosbie.com/PowerArmorHelmet.jpg

Stuff like screws and rivets are going to be done in texture since it takes alot less time than to model them in for a high poly capture...

Flickone have you decided how the armor is going to be bolted together/rivetted?

Do you want seams down the middle like the vanilla Power armor? o.O?

http://www.kolcrosbie.com/PowerArmorHelmet.jpg

Stuff like screws and rivets are going to be done in texture since it takes alot less time than to model them in for a high poly capture...

Flickone have you decided how the armor is going to be bolted together/rivetted?

Do you want seams down the middle like the vanilla Power armor? o.O?

Very nice work overtherei cant see any triangle left behing that will be ebjoyable sculpting :thumbsup:

about the bolting iam not sure.... planning to get some updates to show how sculp goes?

About the rest of armor mesh it does really have a lot of polys but really many can be reduced..... the mesh of the armor isnt final will be update soon.

First of all, the high poly on the left I made AFTER the low poly on the right. I generated it myself using sub-d modelling techniques.

secondly, The eyes on the low poly are actually boosted from his original on page 1. The original was more boxy in that area.

5.5k tris for a HELMET alone is still pretty high even for a high end game. We have to realise the rest of the body armor isnt included in that poly count.

Comparatively:

Gears of War characters at LOD 0 clocked in at 10k polys minimum.

This helm is just a sliver under 3k polys. And the entire remaining suit still hasnt been included yet.

Could it run well with alot more polys and tris? definately. Would it cause noticeable graphical slowdown for most people when multiple copies of this mesh are on screen? Depends on how high poly your objects are, but yes usually.

In all honesty, the bethesda meshes are not very well optimized with ridiculously high poly counts totally wasting our GPU performance. The first time i ripped some out and had a look it was really dissapointing. Sure they look nice in game, but the game could run so much faster with very little noticeable difference.

And before you go saying 'their power armor looks good' Im talking about their regular clothing meshes and character meshes especially. Theres so many redundant quads and polys its no wonder the game cripples all but newer pc's.

The whole science of polygonal optimization basically revolves around the idea that small surface details, intrusions/cavities and complex sculptural topology can be faked with normal maps, and dont really need extraneous geometry to express it. Additionally we also add extra polys when needed to facilitate mobility and range of motion for animations.

Most co-planar geometry can be totally removed unless it retains an exterior silhouette or serves some greater function. IE. a torso doesnt need to contain dozens of rows of polygons just to bend or contort. only 5-6 rows IF that.

Is the helmet perfect? no.

Did i make it worse? *shrugs* you tell me