removing 'magic clothes' effects

enkephalin07

Well the thing is this isnt exactly a true to life fallout sequel, its more fallout-eque and it really is its own game so you have to accept it as such, plus the whole world is bathed in radiation so i can see where they figured that different things may have different effects, i mean there is some element of fantasy here obviously and much like other games anythings plausible.

If thats the case when why the f*** did they call it fallout 3?

Radiation is not magic nor will it ever be. If you get exposed to radiation, its a bad thing.

But there are sci-fi realistic ways, consistent with the Fallout Universe, to achieve the same things, same gameplay goals. Chems are one way, books are another, gadgets are another, but using a magic lab coat that implausibly gives you technical skills to help you overcome an even more hideous design flaw isn't.

Why is it that points spent in science or lockpick are only valuable at the 25% breakpoints? Wouldn't it be better balanced to make every skill point you spend useful when you spend it. Instead, 16 points pumped into these skills are left useless until you have 9 more skill points that will have to be allocated away from skills that guarantee efficient improvement per point. The justification for this is just as twisted as putting the player through that in the first place.

And instead of granting every scrap of clothing miraculous abilities, why not have those articles perform the way they realistically should? Wouldn't a hockey mask give you a reduction to limb damage of the head; isn't that a valuable thing to have and far more likely than instant boxing expertise?

You guys are missing the whole point, this is a GAME, much like things happen in movies that cant actually happen so do they in games, especially ones based of fantasy post apocaliptic genre.

Hell look at all the japanimation stuff, alot of it is post apocaliptic and radiation gave them super powers, hell even look at spider man.

Its not supposed to be 100% real, its a game, and i for one think they did this part well, and furthermore its an rpg and would have been kind of dull if you didnt get anything that gave you stat modifiers that you can put on or take off, and there is only so many ways you can do that.

As for the name, it oculd have easily been a game on its own under a different branding my guess is they just did it to cash in on the fallout series brand hype, its just business.

I don't get you fan boys and calling this "Not a true fallout game" it follows it to the most part and is worthy of the title (yes I have played the old ones! ALL OF THEM)

Anyway I'm fine with the stats on the cloths, magic or not, it plays fine.. though i would like radiation to be move of a threat... seeing as it would make the game funner for me personally but I'm not going to whine, someone will make a mod to give that for me..

But in the end these are my opinions so I don't really care if you disagree.

(not saying that to be a jerk just saying..)

I don't get you fan boys and calling this "Not a true fallout game" it follows it to the most part and is worthy of the title (yes I have played the old ones! ALL OF THEM)
No, it does not, and this thread really isn't the place to demonstrate all the gameplay, story and setting decisions that show the designers just didn't get it.

But this thread is more about trading out the clothing enchants for gameplay elements that are compatible with Fallout. This is no longer a request, this is a statement of intent.

Chems: more variety in effect and duration, but the seriously heavy ones will both last longer, have more significant effects and more regular drawbacks. This means you have to make a choice with serious consequences about whether to use Jet or Psycho to get through a situation, but it also means that you can choose to play a substance-dependent character more viably. The chems Bethesda implemented are far too much like magic potions, and trivializes the fact that they are substances potentially dangerous to the individual and a society desperately trying to sprout. But for Wasteland survival, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Modifications: Expanded clip size, faster firing, less recoil, higher accuracy, silenced fire, etc. Not just to guns; Moira had an excellent idea in making the Armored Vault Suit (though the pluses to weapon use were unnecessary,) one that could be taken further. Why not integrate the benefits of other armors into whatever clothing you prefer? In the end you could have an individualized patchwork of practical additions and war trophies, much like Mad Max. And if you don't know how to operate Power Armor, with the skill or the right friends, you may be able to adapt parts of it to add on protective and attribute qualities into other armors you choose.

Gadgets: Wearables, wieldables, and robotic followers. You don't need to be a master of all stats and skills if you can find or build items that will assist a task or perform it for you. The Wasteland is full of worthless clutter that still hasn't been ingeniously combined in technological schematics. More pre-war tech and the rare alien tech, even cybernetics, all in the retro 'wierd science' vein.

Well, that is kind of a weasely way to assert your convictions. 'Just saying...'

Well, that is kind of a weasely way to assert your convictions. 'Just saying...'

And that is a rather rude way of disagreeing, with anothers views.

And with that I shall have no further involvement with this thread.

And that is a rather rude way of disagreeing, with anothers views.

And with that I shall have no further involvement with this thread.

Not quite as rude as you saying, "Well, I'm putting forth an opinion that you can't rebut, because no other opinion is qualified. After all, yours is just an opinion, and mine happens to be my opinion."

I agree with most of your choices there, except with Luck and Charisma. These are attributes that technology can't quantify or produce, and who's really to say what can and can't give you either quality.

I would limit these though. You should only get +1 Luck effect no matter how many lucky charms you're wearing/carrying. And a Charisma bonus wouldn't be active if you're crippled, radiation poisoned, if you're below a certain health level, you're not going to be showing the winningest of personalities. If the item giving the bonus is in an especially shoddy state of repair, the effect of wearing it may even backfire. I think it would probably be more appropriate to apply disposition and/or reaction modifiers for clothing, but that can get tricky determining how different types or factions would respond, ie a smart business suit would get admiration and respect from some, scorn from others.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it may be more appropriate, easier and more realistic to exchange attribute and skill bonuses for related derivative benefits. Example: Instead Ledoux's Hockey Mask granting a flat 25 Action Points, reduce action cost for attacks with two-handed melee weapons. Instead of the Doctor's Labcoat giving +medicine, any patient including the player gets a temporary boost to healing rate after a treatment is applied, such as stimpacks, bandages, etc.

These would make special clothes still special regardless of the player's developed skill level, and would do so in a way that's balanced, justifiable and realistic.

If this were done, would you want these changes to be explicitly described, so you know which clothing applies which benefits, or completely opaque, so you can only guess at the benefits, or leave it a complete mystery?

Archived