removing 'magic clothes' effects

enkephalin07

I agree with most of your choices there, except with Luck and Charisma. These are attributes that technology can't quantify or produce, and who's really to say what can and can't give you either quality.

I would limit these though. You should only get +1 Luck effect no matter how many lucky charms you're wearing/carrying. And a Charisma bonus wouldn't be active if you're crippled, radiation poisoned, if you're below a certain health level, you're not going to be showing the winningest of personalities. If the item giving the bonus is in an especially shoddy state of repair, the effect of wearing it may even backfire. I think it would probably be more appropriate to apply disposition and/or reaction modifiers for clothing, but that can get tricky determining how different types or factions would respond, ie a smart business suit would get admiration and respect from some, scorn from others.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it may be more appropriate, easier and more realistic to exchange attribute and skill bonuses for related derivative benefits. Example: Instead Ledoux's Hockey Mask granting a flat 25 Action Points, reduce action cost for attacks with two-handed melee weapons. Instead of the Doctor's Labcoat giving +medicine, any patient including the player gets a temporary boost to healing rate after a treatment is applied, such as stimpacks, bandages, etc.

These would make special clothes still special regardless of the player's developed skill level, and would do so in a way that's balanced, justifiable and realistic.

If this were done, would you want these changes to be explicitly described, so you know which clothing applies which benefits, or completely opaque, so you can only guess at the benefits, or leave it a complete mystery?

Except all those things would be extremely difficult to code, give a result little different from the game mechanics as is, and make it difficult to communicate to the player what the item they just got actually DOES when equipped... which is probably why Bethesda took the easy way out ;) But if you can make it work the way you want it to work, or find someone who can, more power to you.

Anyway, you might be interested in this mod - half of it is the same as Leonick's, but there's also a part that removes the skill/special boosts from bobbleheads. I haven't used it myself, so I can't vouch for or against it.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1632 - Disenchant (by PlayerN)

It wouldn't be difficult to script, and it wouldn't take a script extender to do it. I expect I'll need a script extender for a lot of what I'm planning, most won't need it. I won't need a script extender for these:

Utility suits: +1 to skills learn from repair skill books while near a workbench or holding enough tools in inventory. Ignore broken locks while carrying enough tools. (enough tools = 4 items of the tools form idlist)

Modified utility suit: Encumbrance expanded for tools carried, up to 30lbs.

Limb damage threshhold: Damage to limbs reduced by a flat amount by armor. A critical can penetrate damage resistance but still be reduced by damage threshhold.

Reverse engineering: To gain components to use in other schematics, to learn new schematics, and to modify current equipment with pieces of others. You can improve your weapon in any way, and instead of picking your armor based on it's stats, you can pick any armor you like to wear and improve it with other armors.

I want to do this in a way that does give science/repair more power, but without overpowering them. This is easier to justify with most weapon types than with armor. For example when tinkering with guns, have at least a base competence with an average between small guns and repair, then the higher skill determines whether you can perform a build or reverse engineer operation. But you should also be able to pull a viable non-combatant science build out of it.

And most of this can be done with the G.E.C.K.

Archived