Converting Models for 3D Printer

Nomad050

A university student group I am a part of recently purchased a MakerBot 3D printer and I was looking to print some mini Fallout models to paint. Does anyone know if there's a way to extract Fallout character/weapon/scenery models to a .c4d, .3ds, .blend, or a similar format? I don't care about the texturing, the mesh is all I'll need. I was thinking either a suit of power armor or that huge chained down statue thing in "The Pitt" would be cool to print and paint. Do the payload files keep all different models separate or is it really difficult to extract these types of models individually? Has anyone ever modded the game models in a 3D program or done anything like this before?

Thanks so much,

Myles

Nomad050 - Hello!

"A university student group I am a part of recently purchased a MakerBot 3D printer"

Didn't get toys like this when I was at school. :smile:

"Do the payload files keep all different models separate or is it really difficult to extract these types of models individually?"

The individual models? Easy as pie to extract, these games are intended for modding.

The models/meshes are in the form of .nif's & are packaged in .bsa's which are basically archives.

Fallout 3's meshes are all in the Fallout - Meshes.bsa, the DLC's all have seperate .bsa's.

"or that huge chained down statue thing in "The Pitt""

That should be in the ThePitt - Main.bsa.

You can unpack the model you want from the .bsa files with something like FO3 Archive Utility:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/34

I actually use the BSA Unpacker built into Fallout Mod Manager (FOMM) but the above program will do if you don't have that installed.

"Does anyone know if there's a way to extract Fallout character/weapon/scenery models to a .c4d, .3ds, .blend, or a similar format?"

You can open the .nif model with Nifskope, a fantastic free tool for viewing & editing .nifs:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/niftools/files/nifskope/1.1.3/

Once open in Nifskope go to File - Export - Export .obj & that will export a .obj file.

An .obj can be converted into a .3ds if you need that fomat rather than .obj.

"Has anyone ever modded the game models in a 3D program or done anything like this before? "

Well the vanilla models are modified all the time in 3D programs like Blender:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/30

As to whether anyones used the models in a 3D printer before I couldn't say.

If you do make some Fallout 3 models with that thing, you should post the pictures here in the images section. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd want to see them. :smile:

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Edited by prensa

Thanks for the quick reply! I didn't realize that you can unpack the models and convert them to .obj files that easily. If I can get this stuff figured out and looking good I will absolutely post some pictures!

• 1 month later...

aaaaaaad - Hello!

"Does this also work with New Vegas?"

Yes, New Vegas is built off the same engine as Fallout 3. Most of the models in Fallout 3 are even in New Vegas.

New Vegas' assets will be packed in .bsa's just the same as Fallout 3 & can be easily extracted with the same method.

Just as with Fallout 3 you use Nifskope to view the meshes.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Edited by prensa

• 6 months later...