Crash on first startup, tried everything

oscdar

System: GTX560ti , 4gb ram, win 8,

So, Fallout NV won't work for me, it crashes directly on startup, freshly installed. I have tried everything of the below alternatives.

-Updated Graphics card drivers

-Updated DirectX

-Compability mode, both Vista and XP tried

-No mods installed

-Lower graphics

-Run as Admin

-d3d9.dll, the file that changes your graphic settings

-Update 7

-Re-Cached the files

Any ideas?

A long time ago, I had my New Vegas crash on startup because of my sound card. It only started launching properly once I switched to the integrated sound card. Are you using an integrated soultion or do you have a discrete one? If you do, you could try that.

P.S. That problem went away completely when I reinstalled my OS.

Get rid of the dll fix for the graphics - it's redundant now. Windows 8 is about as stable as straw hut also but you should be at least able to boot it, don't bother with compatibility settings it will crash the game anyway (I've been there ;) ) and are you absolutely sure you have no mods cos a crash at start up is usually a missing master also. Try going back into FalloutLauncher and upping the settings again after you get rid of the d3d9 fix.

What is update 7? is that for windows 8? I'm back to win7 you see, 8 is f****d

Yeah, I do have an external USB soundcard that has been giving me a hard time lately, I'll look into buying an internal then :smile:

Nope, no mods, I had the DLCs on on the first run, then disabled them and got the same result, reinstalled everything and failed again :P

Fallout 3 kind of works though, doesn't crash on startup, omly when I try to exit the vault...

Edited by oscdar