Is it possible to remove quests?

DragonKore

I have a few quests in my journal that are impossible to resolve, yet they don't go away. For example, a woman asked me to transport her to a city and I said no. Then I killed her, but the quest is still in my journal. I'm trying to keep my journal clean and organized but these little quests aren't helping. :P Thanks.

By the way, don't try to make me feel bad for killing her. :blink:

Let's say that you have an unresolved quest by the name of "Make mß a Sandwich." To end this, go into the CS dialog editor's journal section, create a new journal thread with any unique name you want, and copy this name down for later use. Create a new entry named "Make mß a Sandwich," and tick the "Quest Name" option with it selected. Now create another entry, with arbitrary contents, such as "I have made mß a sandwich, but he still continues beating me. He has constructed a crude instrument of torture using an SCSI terminator and a piece of string. I fear the end is near." Give this entry an index number, write this number down, and tick the "Finished" option with it selected. Repeat this procedure for every unresolved quest, and save the plugin that results.

Now, in the game, open the console and, for each unresolved quest, issue a "Journal" comand, followed by the thread name and the index of the entry with the "Finished" option ticked. For example, if I had a journal thread with the ID "#sr_dial_mß_sandwich," with the finished quest entry at index 1337:

Journal "#sr_dial_mß_sandwich" 1337

Now give me my sandwich... Or I'll give you a manbeating.

I posted an EXTREMELY lengthy post about multiple ways of resolving "unremovable" quest entries, but this was about 6 months ago before all the posts in this forum were digested.

One way is to download two mods called called "journalfix" and "questfix" which were designed to address quest and jounal bugs that were *not* addressed after the last patch.

These plugins can be found here:

http://www.strong-family.net/morrowind/

These plugins are a preventative measure however. They will not correct bugs that already appear in your journal.

Also, you can try editing your save file as if it were a plugin, and finding a way to set the "finished" bit in your quest entry. You'll have to search for some utilities for this to be done. If you find out, please post your results here.

Also, you can physically remove your quest entry from the journal. While this prevents your quest from showing up in the "completed list", unfortunately in removes your quest from the "view all" list as well. All relevant entries for the quest in your regular journal however will remain there (as well as all the hyperlinks I believe).

Possible programs you can use are MSGE, TESPDC, TESAME, among others. Try to open your save file as if it were a plugin.

I just wish I could give you a link to that discussion...

Actually, Morrowind Enchanted Editor is the program to use. Using TESPCD and TESAME to do this -- a task that will require you to inspect the lowest levels of data files -- will be difficult, to say the least, if these programs even recognize the types of records that are exclusive to saves.

EDIT: Found it. The things you'd need to hack are in QUES records. Contained within these records are the name of the quest and a listing of INFO record IDs that correspond to all journal entries associated with that quest that you have recieved. I think that, to end quests the Jack Lalane way, one must edit the NAME subrecord of a QUES entry to match an already-completed quest. Failing that, one could somehow manipulate the other subrecords -- however, since they are inhuman in size, this could prove more lengthy a procedure than the original, even if it doesn't leave scars in your journal.

Note that this method has not been tested to any extent. As always, backup your save before attempting this.

Good news! Malchik has sent me a link to the huge discussion we had about removing quests a very long time ago.

http://mwsource.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5999

Hopefully it's still there :(

EDIT: the link has similar instructions to those posted by MB, but with more explicit instructions for those less technologically inclined, and contains warnings and caveats.

Thanks for all the helpful responses. Unfortunately, I had to reformat and Windows wouldn't allow me to burn anything or send it over the network, so I lost my morrowind save. I'll try what you guys said when I get everything back.

Archived