Crashing when maximizing window

taylorac2

Sometimes my game will minimize itself for seemingly no reason, and when I maximize it, it crashes without an error message. Same thing happens if I do so after purposefully minimizing it, doesn't seem to matter.

I recently installed my first ENB, and haven't been having any issues other than this since then.

I know that playing in windowed mode might help, but I'd really rather not do that, as it looks pretty lame.

Any ideas?

No idea why this is happening, but suspect you might be hitting a video card limitation as to what it can display in "full screen" at some point. The video pipeline is known to have "memory leaks", and these occur faster with "beautification mods". Here the cause is a combination of larger image sizes ("higher resolutions", aka "hi-rez"), hi-rez texture packs for skin, hair, clothes, weapons, and landscape; along with mods that increase the number of NPCs in a given cell. (All those hi-rez texture "personal accessories" get multiplied by the number of Actors.) Please see the wiki "Display resolution versus Image Size" article. While "ENBoost" can help, you may need to switch to lower resolution/ smaller sized images or even lower quality in your game graphics configuration.

Try using a "fake full screen borderless mode" tool such as "OneTweak for FNV". There are others (including "any game" tools) but that works seamlessly with NVSE.

Anytime the game "Crashes to the Desktop" (CTD) it's typically going to generate an error message in the Windows Eventlog because the game engine was not able to predictably handle the error. Please see the "Windows Error Messages" section of the wiki "How to read most Bethesda game error logs" article.

Logs generated by the game itself (not Windows) are found in the game folder, where the "FalloutNV.EXE" file is located. They generally have the ".log" file extension, or a filename with "_log" in the name and a ".txt" extension.

I recommend anyone read the entire "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article to understand the differences between this game and others you may have experience with; especially if this is your first attempt to play a modded FNV or it's been more than a year since you last set it up. It is designed for someone who has never played a modded PC game before, so it tries to avoid making any assumptions, is kept "up-to-date", and covers years of "lessons learned". It is NOT a list of various mods to install that happen to work on the author's machine. It addresses fundamentals underlying how to get the basic game and mods to work together. At least 90% of everything I post in the "Technical Support" sub-forum is already in that article.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent