Can this be correct? Massive dirty edits..

Zorkel

So I have spent quite sometime messing with my fallout install and I spent the larger portion of my day installing, preparing a for a possible

rollback on windows. To see if I could solve my issue with fallout being evil to me.

And I did some cleaning on my mods removing dirty edits, and a few surprises nothing major until I stumbled upon this mod:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/39856

In FNVEdit I apply filter for cleaning remove identical to master:

[Removing "Identical to Master" records done] Processed Records: 9291, Removed Records: 356, Elapsed Time: 00:00

Then I proceed to undelete and disable references and get:

[undeleting and Disabling References done] Processed Records: 8935, Undeleted Records: 3265, Elapsed Time: 00:04

This cleaned version crash fallout instantly, so I start to wonder about my sanity.... Can this actually be correct?

Could someone else please please see if this will be replicated on your end?

It's the dead version and the latest one available at this writing.

This is easy: You cleaned out your ESM files! You can't apply that technique to masters at ll, you end up with too many "Error: could not be resolved" messages if you have a look inside any file that requires that master, therefore making your mods even dirtier, full of missing ref's.

Restore all of your plugins, edit by hand. ESPs can be cleaned safely so you can do that as I said

EDIT: That's a great little mod that WFO!

Actually when I disabled "cleaned" version of WFO my fallout worked like a charm, also falloutNV.esm was not altered.

Only WFO so your conclusion would seem to be incorrect here.

Unless I have misunderstood something.

Most so called dirty edits do not cause problems at all. And a very few are actually needed for the mod to work under certain conditions. Most are just duplicate records (copies of vanilla objects) that are accidentally included by a mod maker during the creation process. The game will then overwrite the original vanilla object with it's identical copy from the mod when the mod is loaded. I wouldn't bother with cleaning dirty mods unless you are actually having a problem that you think may be related to dirty (accidental) edits. Then make a copy of the original - just in case. :cool:

BTW, nearly every official DLC has multiple 'dirty' edits - they don't affect game play at all and I don't recommend cleaning them.

Cleaning that mod by undelete and disable references will cause it to crash FNV, why no one seems to really know not even the mod author or even modders who have been around for a while. I just clean the mod of remove identical records.

Why, oh why can't modding be simple and care free?

Seems there is 42 variants of doing same thing with 92 different opinions on how to do it.

Not so much wiser, quite a lot more confused.

But very grateful for the responses. :)

I honestly wish that the TESEdit team had not included the 'apply filter for cleaning' option and set every semi-knowledgeable user into a frenzy of butchering every plugin they download.

ITM records can be leftover GECK inclusions that were left in by mistake, but that is not always the case. There are some situations where you want to override whatever changes other plugins have made to a record back to the original.

Deleted references can be a source of game crashes, but only if another mod tries to access the deleted reference. In the case of WFO, I honestly don't know of any other mods that are going to crash the game by messing with deleted trees.

If you don't know why a record exists in a plugin, don't delete it. If you think a mod has dirty edits, inform the author and let them clean their plugin--they know more about its structure than you do.