Skyrim's Creation Engine Map Size Limit

nekineznanec

Ok, so I've been wandering what the technical limits of a map size in the Creation Engine are. For those of you who dont know, creation engine is the engine powering skyrim, so to rephrase my question: what is the map size limit in skyrim?

I haven't seen many mods that would actually add map area outside of the current skyrim boundaries. Save for mods like moonpath to elsewyr, which basically make new dungeons, and dont add to the open skyrim world.

If someone was to put their mind and time to it, how big could a map actually be made? Could it span the whole of tamriel? Even larger? Could someone create the whole of westeros in creation engine?

How does creation engine handle the open world? Is it divided into cells, which load when a player approaches them? If so, is the only limit the number of cells? If anyone could explain this to me i'd be grateful.

Cheers!

There is a limit of 512 x 512 cells (-256 to 255 on the x and y axis).

This equates to a .raw heightmap of 16384 x 16384 pixels, which equates to (reaches for calculator)...approx 29.5 square km.

The whole of Tamriel should fit inside.

There is a group of folk working on such a mod atm.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The total area of a 16384 x 16384 is approx 29km², which equates to ~ 841 square km. or 262144 cells.

The whole of Tamriel easily fits into this, with plenty of room to spare.

The heighmap for Skyrim itself is only 119 cells wide, so you still have 197 cells on the left and 196 cells on the right to play with, which is more than 1½ times the Skyrim width on both sides...Pretty big.

Edited by Tamb0

Tamb0... 29km² does not equates to 841 square km. Because km² means "square kilometers".

29km² = 29 square kilometers

841km² = 841 square kilometers

29 x 29 km = 841km² = 841 square kilometers

What you mean is an square area with a sides that are 29km long. Or "an area with sides that are 29km".

Edited by rogerpenna

Tamb0... 29km² does not equates to 841 square km. Because km² means "square kilometers".

I think you'll find that it does.

Taken from wikipedia:

"Note also that if a piece of land, say a large park, is described as five kilometres square, that means it has the shape of a square, each side of the square being five kilometres long. This means that the park has an area of twenty-five square kilometres (and not five square kilometres)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_kilometre

**Edit**

I think you're mis interpreting the meaning of the little 2. It actually means squared, (as in z multiplied by z) not square.

4² = 16

5² = 25

25² = 625

etc

Edited by Tamb0

I think you'll find that it does.

Taken from wikipedia:

"Note also that if a piece of land, say a large park, is described as five kilometres square, that means it has the shape of a square, each side of the square being five kilometres long. This means that the park has an area of twenty-five square kilometres (and not five square kilometres)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_kilometre

**Edit**

I think you're mis interpreting the meaning of the little 2. It actually means squared, (as in z multiplied by z) not square.

4² = 16

5² = 25

25² = 625

etc

Sorry Tambo, but I think you are the one making the confusion here.

29²km = 841 square kilometers

but 29km² IS NOT 841 square kilometers.

your own quote from Wikipedia betrays you.

29km² reads as twenty nine square kilometers which is NOT the same as 841 square kilometers

your Wikipedia quote talks about 5 kilometers square, which means a square with 5 km in each side. 5 kilometers square is NOT written as 5km². 5km² is 5 square kilometers.

29 square kilometers = 29km² = area

841 square kilometers = 841km² = area

these two different areas are not equal.