Making a 'stand alone' helm with several colors?

ArtMurder

EmuXanadu, on 20 Mar 2013 - 16:34, said:

Well its a bit hard to tell you without knowing what exactly you've altered. Is the model for the ground version of the helmet exactly at ground level in Nifskope? For example is it exactly on the centre axis or is it up in the air with the white bone lines attached? If it looks like the latter then its set up wrong and its always going to be floating.

Are you 100% sure you've set up the model right in the CK? The World Model is where you point the CK at the GO or GND.nif. The armor addon is where you point the male and female biped models to the wearable helmet nif.

The original file looked exactly like the wearable one, with the helmet way up at the top. I tried editing it to make it different hieghts, but nothing had a strong effect. I finally put it at a bit above the center point, because you can see it well in the inventory. The file never had any collision/havok to begin with, I'm more looking for how to ADD it.

And yes, I am, I am using the GND model for the world version and the none-GND model for the wearable version.

Lemme try this one more time, here's what I do when I make a _gnd files for my armor.

First export your mesh as a nif file, ensure it is NOT skinned and it is at the central axis.

Open your exported _gnd nif file. Make the necessary tweaks with the textures.
Open a vanilla _gnd nif file, you wiil use this as your base to make your custom _gnd file.

1.) Remove the NitriShapes in the vanilla nif file.
2.) Copy-paste the NItriShape of your exported _gnd TO the vanilla nif file.
3.) Save as your new _gnd file
4.) If a BSDismemberSkinInstance exists in remove it.

Edited by hardarg

hardarg, on 20 Mar 2013 - 17:51, said:

Lemme try this one more time, here's what I do when I make a _gnd files for my armor.

First export your mesh as a nif file, ensure it is NOT skinned and it is at the central axis.

Open your exported _gnd nif file. Make the necessary tweaks with the textures.

Open a vanilla _gnd nif file, you wiil use this as your base to make your custom _gnd file.

1.) Remove the NitriShapes in the vanilla nif file.

2.) Copy-paste the NItriShape of your exported _gnd TO the vanilla nif file.

3.) Save as your new _gnd file

4.) If a BSDismemberSkinInstance exists in remove it.

Okay, I'm very new to Nifscope, I don't know how to remove the nitrishapes. I've found the area it would be in, but I can't seem to figure out how to actually remove them or add new ones in.

Also, my mesh is a nif, I do not have a 'non-exported' or 'non nif' version. As I said, I am using a resource, and I kind of just have to work with what I have.

Okay, I'm very new to Nifscope, I don't know how to remove the nitrishapes. I've found the area it would be in, but I can't seem to figure out how to actually remove them or add new ones in.

Right click NiTriShapes > Block > Remove Branch.

Copy Branch & Paste Branch is there are as well. ;)

Pasting Branches to a Scene Root will add the New NiTriShapes.

Also, my mesh is a nif, I do not have a 'non-exported' or 'non nif' version. As I said, I am using a resource, and I kind of just have to work with what I have.

I don't think this should be a problem, since you already have your custom _gnd file with the mesh.

Basically the steps I've given uses the vanilla _gnd nif file as your base.

Right click NiTriShapes > Block > Remove Branch.

Copy Branch & Paste Branch is there are as well. :wink:

Pasting Branches to a Scene Root will add the New NiTriShapes.

I don't think this should be a problem, since you already have your custom _gnd file with the mesh.

Basically the steps I've given uses the vanilla _gnd nif file as your base.

Alright, i think I got it, but now I'm getting an error "failed to map parent link NiNode|Scene Root"

Did I do something wrong, or is the mesh somehow incompatible?

hardarg, on 20 Mar 2013 - 18:31, said:

Its probably because your custom nif is skinned.

Remove all Ninodes and BSDismemberSkinInstance in your custom nif file.

Afterwards you copy NiTriShape, then paste to vanilla.

Once again, I think I did everythign right, but once I actually get in game with it, the only thing that changed is the helmet turns invisble when I equip it. It still floats in the air and can't be picked up when you drop it.

I think Im about to just give up on this part. It doesn't seem to want to work. >_<

Send me the two meshes if you like. I'll sort it.

Alright, give me a sec.

Im sorry guys, this is literally my first time working with NifScope, I've always stuck to just textures and stuff. >.<