Recommended Downloads

samadchaz

Like many other people, I download a lot of mods - Usually just to see what they are and not to use in my own game. So your suggestion of a 'people who downloaded this also' would not necessarily have any relevance to recommended. Some, like me - download to see what they are, (usually due to a poor description) Other mod authors are looking for how someone else did something in the mod. Still others will download every mod of a certain type just to have it in their 'inventory'.

However, the top 100 listings do have a lot of relevance - as to whether or not a mod is recommended. So what you are requesting is actually redundant - the top mods are the most recommended because they are the most popular - by default.

Also, recoding our database (lots of work) to include who downloaded what mods would be seen by some as a violation of their privacy. Example - say you download a really raunchy mod just to see what it is (or whatever reason) would you really want everyone else to know that you download 'those kind' of mods? A mod author may download it - not because they are interested in the mod itself, but to see how the author coded some specific thing that is incorporated in that mod.

Others get 'Rickrolled' into blindly downloading by their 'friends' who send just the link without a full description.

Facebook already does this kind of thing with 'likes' - I recently read where a university student working on a paper on US politics of the early 1950s found she now 'liked' McCarthyism on her Facebook. :blink: She traced the 'like' back to FB scraping the info that she had visited a certain pro McCarthyism website during her research. Using FB logic - she visited a pro McCarthyism website - therefore she MUST!! 'like' McCarthyism as a political tool. - If you are unfamiliar with the term, google it - if you are willing to let all of your FB 'friends' learn you now like it. :rolleyes: There is little enough privacy on the internet already - we prefer to not show our members dirty (or clean) laundry in the public domain. :P