GECK won't install properly.

AWOL85

I know there are some topics about this subject on the board already, because I've found them on Google, but none of them have worked for my particular situation so as a last resort I'm coming to you fine fellows (and ladies?)

I download the GECK installer and put it in the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout 3 goty" which is were the Fallout3.exe is, because that is where it is supposed to be from what I read.

When I try to run the GECK from here, I get "GECK.exe - System Error The program can't start because SSCE5432.dll is missing".

I've tried some other things, but I can't remember at the moment and they didn't work.. I bought a $1,200 laptop just so I could play games like Fallout and Skyrim with mods and maybe try to make some of my own. I was so psyched but after hours of screwing around I still can't it running right.

I really need your help!

Edited by AWOL85

AWOL85 - Hello!

Make sure you have the Fallout 3 GECK & not the Fallout New Vegas GECK, as they are both on the same official page & easily mistaken for one & other.

There's a detailed guide to installing GECK here:

http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Bethsoft_Tutorial_GECK_Setup

That includes the correct location & several trouble shooting tips.

Also, if you're using Vista or Win7, try right clicking on the GECK installer & running it as Administrator. Win7 & Vista might be preventing it from working properly since they are security conscious in the Program files.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Edited by prensa

Thanks for answering. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it just as you said, but I'm still getting problems. It says that if I get a .dll error it's in the wrong place, but is should be in the right place.

Does it make a difference if I have the GOTY version? Because I go into Fallout 3 GOTY version folder, and inside that folder is a Fallout 3 folder. Which one should it be? When it installs it, it puts it in the Fallout 3 folder.

It also mentions that I should put Fallout 3 under the C:\ drive instead of under Program Files (x86). If I drag the Fallout 3 GOTY folder out there, will it screw anything up? I want to know before hand so I don't end up creating more problems. I'm pretty sure it won't, but I'm not 100%.

AWOL85 - Hello!

"Does it make a difference if I have the GOTY version? Because I go into Fallout 3 GOTY version folder, and inside that folder is a Fallout 3 folder. Which one should it be? "

I don't have a STEAM version of Fallout 3 so I can't advise directly on that versions location.

It should be in the same folder that your Fallout3.exe & Data folder are in.

When you run the GECK installer, make sure it says it's going to install to that location.

If it says another location, there should be a button next to the path that says "Change". Use that & insert the correct location.

It's not so much where you run the installer, it's that path that it says it's going to install too that needs to be correct.

"It also mentions that I should put Fallout 3 under the C:\ drive instead of under Program Files (x86)."

On Vista & Win7 there can be a problem with UAC being protective & preventing files from showing up in the Fallout folder if installed in the Programs folder.

It's not a problem if your the administrator of your computer, you may need to change a security setting on your Fallour folder though. I run Fallout 3 on Win7 from the Program folder without issue.

"If I drag the Fallout 3 GOTY folder out there, will it screw anything up?"

It's generally best to uninstall & reinsatall if moving a program to a new location as the registry is often changed on install to reflect the games location.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

I got it to work by moving some files around. Basically put all the files it asked for in the same place instead of scattered across different folders. Why the files were in different areas when they should have all been in the same one I don't know.

AWOL85 - Hello!

"I got it to work by moving some files around."

Glad you got it to work! :)

"Why the files were in different areas when they should have all been in the same one I don't know."

My guess would be that it's something to do with the STEAM version. I've got the original GOTY from disc & I don't have a "Fallout 3 goty" folder as you mention, just a Fallout 3 folder & my GECK installed without issue. Perhaps the GECK installer, having been made for the earlier version, is a little confused by the newer STEAM setup. As I say, just a guess. :)

Prensa

Edited by prensa

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Yea I keep have thei registry error from the patch. I go to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout 3 but seems it is crap. When modding never use steam for any fallout. I used to have it out side steam but somehow it segwayed into it and screwed up my mods. all lost now