Scoped .44mag Lever

MadMann135

I have a request and it is pretty simple. A modified lever action long gun with a scope and realistic offensive ability.

Damage per shot to be in the 65 area

The Long story, math involved and explained.

The .44mag out of a revolver and a lever action is two different things, the first is an animal, the second is a monster. The revolver has a gap between the barrel and the chamber that allows gas to escape which decreases projectile velocities. The lever action does not have a gap and it has a longer barrel and both increase projectile velocity.

Here is an actual example courtesy of double tap ammo.

Caliber : .44 Magnum

Bullet : 240gr. Speer Gold Dot Soft Point

1500fps - 1200 ft./lbs. - 6.5" bbl. (revolver)

1810fps from a Win. 1894AE 16" trapper carbine. (lever action long-gun)

The projectile energy of the two

6.5”barrel projectile energy 1198.8ft-lb-767.2ft/lb (1625.4joule-1040.2joule)

16”barrel projectile energy 1726.3ft-lb (2,340.5joule)

In comparison to TNT: 1gram of TNT or microton of TNT or .04oz TNT = 4184joules.

The difference between the weaker revolver projectile energy and the stronger revolver projectile energy is 56%, or in other words the stronger revolver has the projectile energy of the weaker revolver (1040.2) multiplied by 1.56.

The difference between the stronger revolver projectile energy and the lever action long gun projectile energy is 44%, or in other words the lever action long gun has the projectile energy of the stronger revolver (1625.4) multiplied by 1.44.

The reason I want the offense to be 65 is as followed.

1 - True to life.

Blackhawk’s 55ap x 1.44 = 79.2 (a little powerful if one would say)

2 - The two revolvers averaged and multiplied by 1.44.

Scoped .44magnum’s 35ap + Blackhawk’s 55ap = 90. 90/2 = 45

45 X 1.44 = 64.8 OR 65 rounded up.

In my defense for the attack power to be 79, the scoped .44magnum’s 35ap x 1.56 = 54.6 or 55 rounded up which happens to be the same attack power of the Blackhawk.

some of the Math

1625/1040 = 1.5625

2340/1625 = 1.44

Projectile energy in FT-LB

(projectile velocity in FPS x projectile velocity in FPS x projectile weight in grains) / 450436

I would do the mod myself but I am having difficulties with my copy of G.E.C.K., need to learn more on the program.

Taking the scope off of the revolver or blackhawk, deleting the iron sights on the lever action then combining the scope with the Lincoln's lever and finally modifying the projectile attack and gun weight.

In advance Thank you.

Rant:

What bugs me about many shouting games the projectiles and their real life counterparts are not matched in capabilities.

According to my math the scoped .44mag and the assault rifle have comparable attack ability.

5.56 NATO/.223remington 62gr @ 2800fps (16inch barrel AR/M16 barrel) = 1079 FT-LB

7.62 NATO/.308Winchester 146.6 gr @ 2,756 ft/s (21inch barrel FN FAL) = 2,472 FT-LB

The reason most games stray from reality like that is because most developers and most players know little to nothing about real firearms.

Anyways, I second your request for a scoped .44 magnum lever action, and I think the damage works out fine (especially when using increased difficulty mods like me). Actually, I think it'd be really nice for a full weapon realism mod (for conventional weapons, anyways) with bullet drop, accurate velocities, accurate damage, accurate fire rates, etc... I started work on just such a mod, but the hard drive I had Fallout on fried yesterday. :wallbash:

One thing to note, however: When Fallout 3 calculates an automatic weapons damage it takes the rate of fire into account, so I believe the number shown is the damage per second on full auto; the assault rifle really does like 14 or so points per shot, which also doesn't make any sense.

The assault rifle deals (with 100 small arms) 8 damage per shot.

Also you shouldnt use reality when cauclating how much damage weapons do in games, all the weapon stats are arbitrary (you honestly think a bb gun is as powerful as a mauser?). If you did apply reality to a game you could kill just about everybody with 1 shot with any gun you'd care to mention.

The reason games do unusual things with weapon damages is not becuase the designers dont know anything about real weapons, it's so they can make a progression from weak to strong weaponry.

Doom wouldn't be anywhere near as fun if you got the BFG9000 on level 1.

The reason most games stray from reality like that is because most developers and most players know little to nothing about real firearms.

Anyways, I second your request for a scoped .44 magnum lever action, and I think the damage works out fine (especially when using increased difficulty mods like me). Actually, I think it'd be really nice for a full weapon realism mod (for conventional weapons, anyways) with bullet drop, accurate velocities, accurate damage, accurate fire rates, etc... I started work on just such a mod, but the hard drive I had Fallout on fried yesterday. :wallbash:

One thing to note, however: When Fallout 3 calculates an automatic weapons damage it takes the rate of fire into account, so I believe the number shown is the damage per second on full auto; the assault rifle really does like 14 or so points per shot, which also doesn't make any sense.

Here's hoping to two things.

One you get a new harddrive and fast so that you can recover from the crash

and two that you post the data online and I get a copy of it.

Y'see, theres only one thing that really matters here isn't there...

and thats that F3 isn't balanced in any way. how many shots does it really take to down someone? i stood for a good 3 mins bashing a Raider with a baseball bat while he emptied a good 4 clips into me at point blank....

so be lovelly to see some mathamatically balanced weapons :)

Archived