Limited Proliferation - Wasteland Weapons Overhaul

SangRahl

Let me preface this with the fact that I am NOT a modder... I playtest, I dream up ideas, and I try and help modders, and mods that I take an interest in, get fleshed out and taken to their full potential. "Games, and the mods made for them should have form, function, and balance within the bounds of their conceived world."

When I started playing Fallout3, I saw what could become a great RPG, a well-rounded FPS, and a pretty wide-reaching Survival game. A lot of mods have done a lot towards each of these... and a few others have helped breathe life into the wastelands with other tweaks and additions.

This is what I saw as the future, after getting out and exploring for the first time... Much is immersion-based; things that make sense, to me, and that I see as helping make the world of the Capital Wastelands feel that much more real. This is not a hardcore Survival Mod, but it's not really meant for any and every character build-type. (Though I hope I've been able to conceptively smooth a great deal of the rough edges in my own musings.) It also would likely not play well with a vast number of the currently active mods in development, though I hope not with all.

I can see this being released in parts, or as a form of pseudo-'total conversion' (even though it converts nothing away from the Fallout world)... First would be new weapon development, then a repair revamp, followed by working out the loot and faction drops system... But, hey, like I said before, I'm no code-jockey... I do what I can to just keep my currently-installed mods from conflicting with each other. Heheheheh. I'd actually be more than happy to just have this work as a blueprint for someone else to tinker with.

Limited Arms Proliferation - an overview

Nuclear Winter has come and gone... and post-apocalyptia is a land of savagery and despair, with civilization huddling together for safety and survival.

The main focus of this mod is to REDUCE the proliferation of firearms back to an expected scale. Not every band of ruffians would be packing fully-loaded automatics, or have gathered up an arsenal that would make a Montana Militiaman squeal with glee... Guns MAY be plentiful, but only as bludgeoning objects.

(Why do you think Hunting Rifles look so bloody beat to hell? Because the reciever got jammed, and the best use for it was to bash in some raider's, or some poor scavver's, skull.)

Core Concepts:

LOCKED Ammunition/Grenade/Mine caches - These weapons are RARE in the wastes for a reason. But, as any schmo can tell that they are infinitely valuable, even the lowliest RAider would have horded boxes of ammunition, even if they couldn't make use of, or even get into, the contents. At the least, every ammunition crate should have a 'Very Easy' or 'Easy' lockpick requirement. (and I've yet to have a character that doesn't have at LEAST 25skill in lockpicking, so I don't see this as being any more than a case of form for the sake of immersion, than anything else... I'm honestly surprised that some other immersion nut hasn't modded this into the game.)

LOCKED First Aid boxes - There should be a reason that all those medical supplies haven't been scrounged and scavenged in the last 200 years... Just a simple 'Easy' lock is all that's required to make this make more sense. Even first aid stores in currently active military posts would have some form of security on their precious supplies. Just as above, this is purely for immersion. If you plan on stocking up on medical supplies, without having to fork out loads of caps, expect to have to work that manual dexterity a bit.)

'Ruined Gun' Melee Weapons - Broken and useless weapons found among many Raiders and various scavvers/traders that can only be used to bash at your assailant like as with a bat (or baton, if something smaller like a 10mm, or .32 pistol), or simply broken down for parts.

Scavenging 'Weapon Parts' - The 'useless' weapons found can be broken down by characters with proper repair skill into bits of usable parts that can be used to return a working firearm to better working order. These parts will be segregated by weapon-type: 10mm Auto, Revolver, Shotgun (Sawed-off, Coach Double-barrel), Bolt-action Rifle (Hunting Rifle, Ol'Painless, Bolt-action Sniper), Lever-action Rifle (Winchester, Lincoln Repeater, Lever-action Shotgun), Sniper, Automatic Rifle (AR, AK, Combat Shotgun), Minigun, Launcher, Flamer, Laser Componentry, and Plasma Componentry. Laser Componentry would have to replace the merchant-sold Laser Rifles and Pistols (except those sold by the BoS merchant in The Citadel), to keep rarity high, but also to allow repairs of any weapons found and used earlier-on. (You'll still have access to a few static finds across the wastes, Super-Duper Mart's Laser Pistols being easily the first available.)

Personal Weapon Locks - More powerful (read: MILITARY) weapons tend to be equipped with personalized locks, making it so that the weapons are only usable by the original owner, or personnel with either the permission or know-how to unlock the weapon for use. Most locked weapons are still lootable, but are lifeless hulks that can only be dismantled for their components. Truly Advanced weapons (Lasers & Plasma) are equipped with failsafes that destroy the inner componentry when tampered with, so are simply useless to anyone without a requisite skill level in Energy Weapons and will have weight, but -0- value to a vender. With the needed skill of 50+ for Laser, and 75+ for Plasma, then the inert weapon can be looted and broken down for components.

Weapon Repairs - There are no longer direct weapon combinations... Weapons and Ruined Weapons are broken down to their component parts, and THOSE are used to repair existing weapons. Weapon Repairs would also become a much more delicate process. Though a functional firearm can be broken down in the field, and repaired again, RUINED weapons would require the tools available only at a servicable Workbench to clean and dismantle. Parts are easily stored and compact, but whole weapons are just as bulky as ever. Do you gather every last makeshift club to get back to you worktable, or just take what you can break down here in the field? Another point of interest is that Energy Weapons will require a Workbench for repairs, whether just to unlock and break down, or to integrate held componentry to fix your current weapon. Delicate components require precision tools and an organized workspace.

Faction Info & Weapon Dispersion:

*Named NPCs will still have the same loot-types as previously... they ARE named and generally in positions of power for a reason.

*Ammunition and meds/supplies will drop as per normal from all NPCs

*Rarities below denote either the rarity of the weapon to be found, or, in later cases, the rarity of being able to loot from the NPC's corpse. (Power Armor will NOT be accessible from every BoS/Outcast/Enclave Soldier you meet... making the armor's value and expense of repairs more noticable for the player.) It also shows a progression in the Leveled Lists, but is not meant to replace the lists in total. (Just because you're Lvl.20, it does NOT mean that the common Raiders in the wastes will now be armed with firearms for no real reason...)

Only a few resourceful factions would have the know-how and capability to remain fully-stocked and armed:

-Raiders-

The 'Reavers' of post-apocalyptia... "...they'll r*pe us to death, eat our flesh, and sew our skins into their clothing. And, if we're very, very lucky, they'll do it in that order." Only a VERY few have the know-how and understanding to scavenge and maintain a working firearm... but those that do will either be leaders of their lessers, or surrounded by others of like ability. Predominently you'll find raider camps and hunting parties armed with little more than improvised weapons (read: clubs) and various normal melee weapons, but when you're close-by D.C. proper (where Talon Co. and Super Mutants may patrol near), or in outlying military installations, expect a bit tougher resistance.

• Common - Knife, Nail Board, Baseball Bat, Brass Knuckles, Lead Pipe, Pool Cue, Tire Iron, Ruined .32 Pistol, Ruined 10mm Pistol, Ruined Hunting Rifle
  • Uncommon - Sledgehammer, Combat Knife, Police Baton, Switchblade, Spike Knuckles, Ruined Winchester, Ruined Double-Barrel (Coach/Sawed-off)
  • Rare - Frag Grenades, Ruined Assault Rifle, Ruined .44 Magnum, Ruined Combat Shotgun (no drum attached), functional .32 Pistol, Hunting Rifle, 10mm Pistol, Double-barrel (Coach/Sawed-off), Winchester
  • BLOODY Rare - Flamer, Super Sledge, functional Combat Shotgun, Assault Rifle

-Super Mutants-

These monsters have been able to procure massive stores of heavy ordinance and military stores. They're big, they're mean, and they have no problem clubbing you to death with whatever they have that they can't, or don't know how to, use correctly. Since they have no idea what a weapon lock IS, there's no problem putting their dropped weapons to use, if they're in working order. (Mostly armed with military-grade weapons, from ARs to Miniguns and Missiles for the higher-ranked greenskins... The lower-ranks will be relegated to the useless stores of ruined husks to bludgeon their enemies with. Broken ARs and Sniper Rifles, all swung like clubs, replacing the old Nail Boards and Sledge Hammers.)

• Common - Ruined Assault Rifle, Ruined Sniper Rifle, Frag Grenades
  • Uncommon - Super Sledge, Assault Rifle, Minigun
  • Rare® - Missile Launcher

-Regulators-

Like Talon Co., these folks take pride in their firearms and use the with gusto. As they aren't exactly the most loved group of mercs in the wastes, they tend to stick to less-complex, and more easily repairable small arms. Hunting Rifles, Winchesters, Shotguns, and the odd .44 Magnum are in great supply (and demand) with these new 'frontiersmen'. (100% chance to clean them of both supplies and armor/armament... but at the cost of having to watch your back a bit more, out in the wastes.)

• Common - Sawed-off Shotgun, Hunting Rifle, .32 Pistol, 10mm Pistol
  • Uncommon - Coach Shotgun, .44 Magnum, Winchester Rifle, Frag Grenades, Frag Mines
  • Rare - Assault Rifle, Chinese Assault Rifle, Combat Shotgun, Sniper Rifle

-Talon Co.-

These roughnecks are ALL about the firepower and they have the backing to keep themselves hip-deep in all the rounds they need. But, with the BoS keeping their better gear locked up tight, and the Outcast keeping outside the rubble of inner-D.C., they don't have access to nearly as much advanced weaponry as before. Most of their gear is already hacked, so it's free to just pick up and fire right back at them. (95% chance to have open access to their weapons... only the odd Missile Launcher, Minigun, Flamer, or Sniper Rifle MIGHT have had their locks re-enabled.)

• Common - Combat Knife (backup weapon on ALL soldiers), 10mm Pistol (backup weapon on all Big Guns/Energy Weapons soldiers), Frag Grenades, Frag Mines, 10mm SMG, Assault Rifle, Combat Shotgun
  • Uncommon - .44 Magnum, Chinese Assault Rifle, Unlocked/LockedSniper Rifle, Flamer
  • Rare - Unlocked/Locked Missile Launcher, Minigun

-Outcast-

Same deal as with the BoS, but with more emphasis on quantity, than quality. And, with their more lax security (I mean, really... hand in a few dozen laser weapons, and thy let you practically clear out their stores... or at least give you access to be able to steal them out from under their own noses), you might be able to find a few more unlocked weapons or armor than their ex-brothers. (40-60% chance to scrounge weapons or Power Armor)

• Common - Frag/Pulse Grenades, Frag/Pulse Mines, Power Fist, Super Sledge, Locked Laser Pistol, Laser Rifle, Gatling Laser, Minigun, Missile Launcher, Flamer
  • Uncommon - Unlocked Laser Pistol (secondary weapon), Laser Rifle, Gatling Laser, Minigun, Missile Launcher, Flamer / Power Armor

-Brotherhood of Steel-

Let's face it, this is what they DO. Anything from Laser Rifles to .44's, Missile Launchers to Miniguns, they've got them all, and aren't afraid to use them. Thing is, they have the access to military-grade personallized weapon locks. No more scrounging gear from fallen BoS, unless given permission to by the higher-ups (VERY Late-game), or you get REALLY lucky. (10-15% chance to loot anything besides ammunition, meds/supplies, or the odd .44 Magnum sidearm from a fallen Knight or Paladin. *holotags are still 100% droprate, though)

• Common - .44 Magnum (backup weapon), Frag/Pulse Grenades, Frag/Pulse Mines, Power Fist, Super Sledge, Locked Laser Pistol (backup weapon), Laser Rifle, Gatling Laser, Minigun, Missile Launcher
  • Rare - Unlocked Laser Pistol (backup weapon), Laser Rifle, Gatling Laser, Minigun, Missile Launcher, Power Armor

-Enclave-

These armored and armed combatants have the best technologies at their disposal... so expect to have to know what you're doing before you can make use of their particular brands of destructive power. (Specializing in Energy Weapons early will do a gret deal in speeding you along the path of covering the battlefield with Plasma-green puddles of goo.)

• Common - Locked Laser Pistol (secondary weapon), Laser Rifle, Gatling Laser, Minigun, Missile Launcher, Flamer, Plasma/Pulse Grenades, Plasma/Pulse Mine
  • Rare - Power Armor

Repair Lists:

10mm Auto Parts - Ruined 10mm Pistol, 10mm Pistol, Chinese Pistol, 10mm SMG, Sydney's Ultra SMG

Revolver Parts - Ruined .32 Pistol, Ruined .44 Magnum, .32 Pistol, .44 Magnum, Blackhawk

Shotgun Parts - Ruined Sawed-off Shotgun, Ruined Coach Shotgun, Sawed-off Shotgun, Coach Shotgun

Bolt-action Rifle Parts - Ruined Hunting Rifle, Hunting Rifle, Ol'Painless, Bolt-action Sniper (new unique... possibly a replacement for Reservist's?)

Lever-action Rifle Parts - Ruined Winchester, Winchester Rifle, Lincoln Repeater, Lever-action Shotgun (new unique)

Sniper Parts - Ruined Sniper Rifle, Sniper Rifle, Reservist's Rifle, Victory Rifle

Automatic Rifle Parts - Ruined Assault Rifle, Ruined Combat Shotgun, Assault Rifle, Combat Shotgun, Chinese Assault Rifle, Xuanlong Assault Rifle, Wanda

Minigun Parts - Minigun, Eugene

Launcher Parts - Missile Launcher, Miss Launcher, Fat Man, Experimental MIRV

Flamer Parts - Flamer, Burnmaster

Laser Componentry - (req.50+ EnW Skill to scavenge) Locked Laser Pistol, Locked Laser Rifle, Laser Pistol, Laser Rifle, Smuggler's End, Protectron's Gaze, Wazer Wifle, Col. Autumn's Laser Pistol

Plasma Componentry - (req.75+ EnW Skill to scavenge) Locked Plasma Pistol, Locked Plasma Rifle, Plasma Pistol, Plasma Rifle, A3-21's Plasma Rifle

Things that need done (coding)

- Find a way to separate Talon Co. and Regulator equipment lists

- Find a way to have 'normal' weapons be turned into inert objects and/or melee weapons utilizing the same model

- Workbench schemati, including creating new 'Weapon Parts' classes, for breaking down weapons into component parts, leading to...

- Unique Repair Lists... and removal of direct repair system

Things that need done (items)

New Weapons:

- Melee versions of most 'conventional' firearms:

- Lever-action Shotgun, Winchester (lever-action rifle), Longarm Double-Barrel Shotgun (deliverance6?), Bolt-action Sniper

Mods that I'd love to see integrated or at least made compatible

Wattz 1000/2000 by joefox082

MMMF-IncreasedSpawns by Martigen

Four-Eyes by roughboy

The Road Wardens by roughboy

Archived