The most infuriating mission of any game I'm ever played...

Bazerk83

Hey guys,

Ok, so having now gone through almost all of the quests and side quests in this game I've come to the most infuriating dead end with the Broken Steel quest line that runs on after the Main Quest (and cutscene) is completed.

The quest is 'Who Dares Wins' which involves travelling to The White House Plaza and from there, into Utility and on into the Presedential Metro.

However, I'm completely frustrated with the problems I'm having.

The most glaring problem is, I get to The White House Plaza just fine, I easily locate the manhole sewer cover that provides access to the location called 'Utility'. Here's where it gets infuriating. I enter Utility and become completely and utterly stuck, literally.

My first obvious attempt at a solution was to reload the save. Same result.

I then tried waiting 24 hours. Same result.

I then tried the tcl (noclip) command in console, didn't work, I'm still stuck.

How am I stuck you ask? Well when entering 'Utility' a ladder leads down to the ground which is normally where you'd be standing. For some ridculous reason there is a burnt out wasteland car floating halfway up the damned ladder that never drops and when I enter Utility it puts me smack bang in the middle of the damned car, like I am ACTUALLY inside the car. The noise of the car moving around is horrendous to the ears, 3rd person camera goes nuts and there is literally no way out. Like I said, I've tried tcl command, I've tried moving the car by firing my missile launcher.

I even tried to use the other end of 'Utility' by floating over The White House with tcl. When I enter the other end, it's the same eaxct thing! How the hell can this glitch happen on both sides!?!?!?

Nevertheless I pressed on. I tried gaining access a longer way around by using a reverse journey. Starting at the Capitol Building. The plan was to go from Capitol building down to the Presdential Metro and cutting out the middle man. NOPE, When I enter the Capitol East doors the game would ALWAYS crash to desktop. I tried fast travelling to somewhere else and back again didn't work. Waited 24 hours, same result. I unloaded everything in my load out except the esms and and all Broken Steel and FWE related esps. This worked, to a point. It would no longer CTD when I entered The Capitol East entrance but can't go anywhere else from their because the only doors that lead on from the room you start in requires a key and can't be opened 'while the power is down'.

I can't put the power back up because that's located in Presdential Metro!!! I tried enterting both Utility entrances with almost all mods deactivated and still it does it!!!!

So you see, I'm totally at a loss for what to do now :-\

If anyone can help, a console command, a different route, anything! I'd appreciate it so much!

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Load order

Fallout3.esm
Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
PointLookout.esm
Zeta.esm
Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch.esm
CRAFT.esm
CALIBR.esm
xCALIBR.esm
Bunker72 v3.esm
Mothership Crew.esm
EVE.esm
Apocalypse Armory.esm
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esm
Mart's Mutant Mod.esm
CrossModData.esm
Animy_prostitution.esm
Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Operation Anchorage.esp
Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - The Pitt.esp
Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp
Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Point Lookout.esp
Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Mothership Zeta.esp
EVE - UF3P Patch.esp
DarNifiedUIF3.esp
CASM.esp
Overhead3PCamera.esp
UPP - Pack 1.esp
UPP - Experience Perks.esp
BlackWolf Backpack.esp
BlackWolf Backpack - Vendor Script Replenish.esp
BlackWolf Backpack - Anchorage Gauss Rifle Fix.esp
BlackWolf Backpack - Zeta Drone Cannon Fix.esp
bzArmour.esp
bzBodySuits.esp
B72v3-03.esp
B72v3 Clutterfree.esp
Megaton House and Theme Overhaul.esp
UndergroundHideout.esp
Apocalypse Armory.esp
Apocalypse Armory - CRAFTing.esp
Apocalypse Armory - CALIBR.esp
Apocalypse Armory - xCALIBR.esp
Apocalypse Armory - DLC Enhancements.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Anchorage.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC The Pitt.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Broken Steel.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Point Lookout.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Mothership Zeta.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Followers Enhanced (BrokenSteel).esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Optional Restore Tracers.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Optional VATS Halftime.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Optional Restore Tracers (automatics only).esp
WeaponModKits.esp
WeaponModKits - FWE Master Release.esp
WeaponModKits - OperationAnchorage.esp
WeaponModKits - ThePitt.esp
WeaponModKits - BrokenSteel.esp
WeaponModKits - PointLookout.esp
WeaponModKits - Zeta.esp
Dragonskin Tactical Outfit.esp
Apocalypse Armory + EVE.esp
EVE - FWE Patch.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Anchorage.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC The Pitt.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Broken Steel.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Point Lookout.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Zeta.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - FWE Master Release.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - FWE Master Release + DLCs.esp
EVE - MMM Patch.esp
Core Robots - The Protectrons.esp
KillableChildren.esp
KillableChildren - MMM.esp
Owned!.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - More Gore.esp
F3ProjectRealityMkI.esp
xCALIBRammo_FWE.esp
Core Robots - FWE+MMM Patch.esp
Clear Cell Buffers (no message).esp
Animy_prostitution.esp
Merged2.esp
Fallout Remastered.esp
Fallout Remastered - FWE.esp
Fallout Remastered - EVE (Paradox Ignition Merge).esp
Fallout Remastered - FWE + EVE (PI Merge).esp
Fallout Remastered - MMM + EVE (PI Merge).esp
Fallout Remastered - Mart's Mutants Mod.esp
Fallout Remastered - FWE + MMM.esp

Edited by Bazerk83

Nevermind. I've fixed it. If anyone else should have this problem. The cure for me was simply unticking the Broken Steel - Unofficial Patch and loading the game up. Travel through the presedential metro to The White House and you can then load it back up.

Bazerk83 - Hello!

It's not the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch Broken Steel plugin itself that causes that problem, it's turning it into a false .esm with FO3Edit in masterupdate mode that causes the trouble.

The bug you mention has often been reported & seems to have been atributted to almost every major mod around from MMM, FOOK to the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch Broken Steel plugin.

It's not actually specific to any mod though.

It's a problem caused by running two master files (.esm) that are changing the same location in a certain way & because one used to be an .esp & thus does not have the proper override entries for it's changes.

That's usually due to FO3Edit, in masterupdate mode, being run to false flag .esp's as .esm's.

That's useful in some cases (fixes body mismatch colors on .esp's that add NPC's) but can cause a lot of trouble in some .esp's.

In your case the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp.

The good news is you can fix the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp by using FO3EditMasterRestore on it or simply replacing it with a fresh copy of Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp from the UF3P download.

You'll find an unmodified version of Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp won't cause the problem.

You can check to see if any .esp's are flagged as .esm's by left clicking on them in your Mod Manager, Red writing will come up warnig it's been flagged. Some plugins will be fine flagged as .esm's.

NEVER run masterupdate on Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp & probably best avoided running it on the other UF3P DLC patches too.

If you use masterupdate again, before you run it, untick Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp & anything else you don't want flagged as .esm's in your data list & that way it won't get changed.

Hope this helps!

Prensa