CTDs When Bringing Up Perk Menu

1337DragonWolf

It seems no matter what, I'll always end up getting a game that CTDs when I bring up the perk menu that I inevitably have to fix. I even tried making sure a save successfully brings up the perk menu, going through a new game, and bringing up the perk menu as soon as I get the PipBoy.

However, it crashes as soon as I hit the key. I have to Verify the files through Steam, delete the Fallout4.ini, Fallout4Custom.ini, and Fallout4Prefs.ini files, go back to the game save, save, exit, and either add lines to the Fallout4Custom.ini to allow mods or reinsert the old one if a new one hasn't been generated.

The problem is that I feel like by deleting Fallout4Custom.ini and losing those Archive lines, I'm possibly messing up the mods I have set in place, and ruining the save game forever.

I'm hoping there's a more permanent solution to this CTD problem. I don't want to have to deal with it and any possible backlash resulting from trying to fix it anymore.

Ok hold on. Are you saying that you have a save which has had mods loaded up on it - then you go and delete the FO4Custom.ini - load the modded save back up, save while the Archive lines are deleted - and then go back and put the Archive lines back into the FO4Custom?

Don't do that. Your save is probably screwed if you did that.

It's likely that you just have a simple mod conflict involving the perk menu.

Are you using a FallSouls type mod? Something that un-pauses the various paused menus in the game? That can cause problems like this.

HUD menus could also cause problems like this if they're not installed properly.

Start by installing Buffout 4. (i can't believe this is the third time today i'm posting this)

It will give you a crash log when you CTD, and point out which mod is most likely causing the problem.

Here's the link - https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/47359

Post the crash log in this thread, and in the comments section of the Buffout 4 mod page.

Also, post your load order.

Use spoiler tags when posting here and there, or use Pastebin and post the link.

Ok hold on. Are you saying that you have a save which has had mods loaded up on it - then you go and delete the FO4Custom.ini - load the modded save back up, save while the Archive lines are deleted - and then go back and put the Archive lines back into the FO4Custom?

Are you using a FallSouls type mod? Something that un-pauses the various paused menus in the game? That can cause problems like this.

HUD menus could also cause problems like this if they're not installed properly.

Start by installing Buffout 4. (i can't believe this is the third time today i'm posting this)

It will give you a crash log when you CTD, and point out which mod is most likely causing the problem.

Post the crash log in this thread, and in the comments section of the Buffout 4 mod page.

Use spoiler tags when posting here and there, or use Pastebin and post the link.

Before I post, I have mods from LL. Is posting the list here going to get me in trouble?

Before I post, I have mods from LL. Is posting the list here going to get me in trouble?

lol no

Unfortunately, I use Vortex, and while I have screenshots of my mods and the plugins' load orders, I seem to be unable to post the images here...

Best I can do is post the contents of f4ee:

f4ee - log level 5
BodyMorphInterface::LoadBodyGenSliders - Info - Loaded 95 slider(s). [F4SE\Plugins\F4EE\Sliders\FusionGirl.esp\sliders.json]
OverlayInterface::LoadOverlayTemplates - Info - Loaded 14 overlay template(s). [F4SE\Plugins\F4EE\Overlays\INVB_WastelandDairy.esp\overlays.json]
OverlayInterface::LoadOverlayTemplates - Info - Loaded 36 overlay template(s). [F4SE\Plugins\F4EE\Overlays\CumNWealth.esp\overlays.json]
OverlayInterface::LoadOverlayTemplates - Info - Loaded 21 overlay template(s). [F4SE\Plugins\F4EE\Overlays\CumNWealth_mutant.esp\overlays.json]
SkinInterface::LoadSkinTemplates - Info - Loaded 2 skin template(s). [F4SE\Plugins\F4EE\Skin\INVB_WastelandDairy.esp\skin.json]
BodyMorphInterface::GetTrishapeMap - Error - Failed to load. [meshes\actors\character\characterassets\1stpersonfemalebody.tri]
BodyMorphInterface::GetTrishapeMap - Error - Failed to load. [meshes\actors\character\characterassets\1stpersonfemalebody.tri]

I was able to post more information on LL, so hopefully I'll be able to get an answer from there, if not here. But from what I can scry from the log, and from what I saw on the internet, it's possible Bodyslide isn't generating a 1stpersonfemalebody.tri file. Sadly, I dunno if that's it, or where to go from here if it is. :/

Vortex still doesn't give you a load order text file, huh? Man Vortex blows...

I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to post the images here. Maybe just try converting the images into jpeg files?

Are you going to try installing Buffout 4 or not? The f4ee log is insufficient.

Nevermind, i see that you did try installing Buffout 4. But it seems that you didn't really read the installation instructions.

You need to follow the particular instructions, read the full description page of Buffout 4 when installing it.

Everybody gets a f4ee log. That is not the crash log generated by Buffout4. The crash log that Buffout4 generates is labeled "crash-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" where the x's are a string of numbers indicating the date of the crash. If you are not getting a crash file generated by Buffout4, then you didn't install Buffout4 correctly. You will only get a crash log from Buffout4 if your game did indeed CTD while it was installed.

If you really do suspect a missing 1st person file, just change your outfit in game. Change into something that is un-touched by Bodyslide, and then see if you can open your perk menu. Simple.

Surely there's one base-game outfit which you don't have a Bodyslide replacer for. Probably the Tattered Field Jacket, I don't think any mods touch that, but I could be wrong.

Edited by LucidLady

There are no install instructions. This is the entire description page:

About this mod
You last downloaded a file from this mod on 16 Jan 2021

It's like buffout but for the engine

Requirements Permissions and credits Changelogs
Source code is available on my Github.

What does it do?
  • It fixes engine bugs and adds a crash logger to the game. Feel free to post your crash logs to the comments section. I may or may not take a look at them.
  • See here for a full list of fixes.

Where are the crash logs?
  • Crash logs are located in "Documents\My Games\Fallout4\F4SE"

I admittedly only downloaded one before, since I was unsure, but I just downloaded the other two and tried again. It still doesn't work, though, the crash report still doesn't show up.

EDIT: To be more specific, I meant I only downloaded one of the Microsoft C++ Redistributables. I'm well aware how on-site prerequisites work.

EDIT2: Except for the .armx64 one. It isn't supported by my processor type. Is that going to be an issue?

Edited by 1337DragonWolf

You only have to install one of the three files. Either the x64, x86 or armx64. Whichever one is appropriate for your system.

And again, you won't get a crash log unless you load the game up and experience a CTD.

I honestly don't remember if you need to install the Visual Studio for 2019 as well or not, it's been a while.

I know that I did install it, and I don't see why not to install it. It doesn't hurt anything as far as I can tell.

[edit] - Actually, here's the dedicated FAQ website with better install instructions

https://wiki.fireundubh.com/fallout4/buffout-faqs#:~:text=Couldn%27t%20load%20plugin%2C%20or,installed%20to%20the%20correct%20location.

Edited by LucidLady