Bypassing a mod's required expansion?

majikmonkee1975

@ majikmonkee1975

if you'll look at your DLCShiveringIsles.esp more closely you'll discover a file size of exactly 85 bytes, which Windows explorer will report as 1K.

It contains absolutely nothing except the file header.

The Shivering Isles installation procedure overwrites the Oblivion.esm with one that also has all of the Shivering Isles data. The only thing that selecting DLCShiveringIsles.esp in the loader does is activate the SI data that would then be in your Oblivion.esm.

The problem is that when reinstalling Oblivion, you almost certainly overwrote the ESM that had all the SI data with the "base game only" one that doesn't have it. Therefore there is nothing there to get activated. Hence, no SI.

SI is the only DLC that actually changed the Oblivion.exe and added the SI assets to the Oblivion.esm - the others work just like a mod. And can be treated just like a mod for installing and uninstalling. If you don't already have SI included in your Oblivion it will need to be installed from it's installer to work properly.

The Oblivion Game of the Year version already has SI included (on the second disk if you got the DVD version)

Okay, well thanks again guys, that actually clears things up quite a bit for me. I'm thinking the best course of action at this point would be to just re-buy Shivering Isles, granted I dont need the whole GOTY edition, I've seen it relatively cheap by itself on Amazon though. Real shame the Beth online store went down, that was so convenient!