MatchRace Command not working?

ashjay101

Having a slight issue with GECK, hoping someone can shed some light on what im doing wrong

Iâm making a mod that will add an NPC that has to be the same race as the player, but whenever I use the MatchRace Player command, they stay as caucasian (the default) and their face only slightly changes. What am I doing wrong? And are there other or better way to approach this?

I'm not a modeller, so this is based upon reading and theory, and not experience. But as no one else has stepped up, here is what I can contribute.

Note the statement in the MatchRace command: "Any character this is done to uses the default face textures for their new race." Skin color is a "texture", so this directly applies. So, first question: what race is the "player" in your tests?

JIP LN NVSE has added the functions "GetRace" and "SetRace". (Such commands are usually created to overcome shortcomings of those provided by the GECK itself.)

Note: "Visual update of loaded references, via Update3D, is required." This probably applies to the original command as well.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Make sure the box on the NPC 'Can be all races' is ticked.

You may need to start a new game to test this afterward because I've found this setting to be baked in the save.

Make sure you are running the function on the REFiD:

MyNPCREF.Matchrace Player

This is the the way Dad's race is matched to the player in FO3, so you're on the right track.

Hey all, thanks for the help, to answer everyoneâs questions:

-all tests are done on a completely blank save, the Can Be All Races box is ticked

-im using the player race as African American, yet the NPC is still appearing as caucasian, no matter how many attempts i make

-i actually copied the script directly fro Dadâs FO3 chargen script, so im pretty baffled to say the least...