First CTDs after 70 hours of playing

AndrealphusVIII

In that case, I would drag the tint layer data from the unofficial dawnguard patch over to your NPC compatibility patch. ERSO's NPC overhaul plugin is based on the unofficial skyrim patch, in order to avoid DLC dependency. The tint layers are just skin tone adjustments, presumably to fix Sybille Stentor's to more closely resemble DG's adjustment to vampire cosmetics.

Also remember to clean your compatibility patches after you finish.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i am not badly mistaken those scripts in your log file belong to a mod called civil war, right? and i dont see that mod in your loadorder actually - have you had it installed at one point?

Edit: Disregard that - i was mistaken.

Edited by dwiss

Quick question: Is DLC dependency a bad thing that I should want to avoid?

No, it's normal for compatibility patches to include the esp's whose records are being merged as it's masters. So when you are asking to add a plugin as a master while merging records, just select yes. Right click and select 'sort masters....' whenever you add a master so they can be arranged in the correct order.

Edited by ripple

Yes, but since you are creating a compatibility patch for those 2 mods, you only need edit the appropriate entry in the compatibility patch and not the mods themselves. As long as the compatibility patch loads after those plugins it's changes will override the other conflicting records. And when the mods update, and you install the new version, it won't erase your changes (although you may need to check your compatibility patch to update it as well, depending on what records were changed).

Some (possibly nooby) questions:

A) When I create a lot of (more than 10) Compatibility Patches, won't that make it harder for the game to load everything and cause potential CTDs?

I heard once that when they're more plugins to load, it may create more conflicts and it may make Skyrim more unstable.

Does that also apply to the compatibility patch plugins? Is it harmful (for the stability of Skyrim) to add many compatibilty patches?

B) When creating some patches I came across something odd: some records contain some double entries.

http://i.imgur.com/GIQheQ4.png

Kind regards

Andre

In answers to your questions: no unless you are approaching the maximum number of plugins (255?), no (because that really depends on what sort of changes the mod makes), and no. :smile: And also, you don't need to create modular compatibility patches like me, you can do one compatibility patch that covers all the changes, although making them 'modular' has the advantage of making them easier to update and less painful if you mess up during editing for some reason and need to start from scratch.

In the image you linked, 'Immersive Weapons' assigned a custom mod weapon (the scimitar) to that NPC. However, it conflicts with ERSO's NPC overhaul plugin, which has assigned perks to that NPC. Even though this is not a 'true conflict', the plugin loaded later ('Immersive Weapons') overrides edits to that NPC by plugins loaded earlier. So in you compatibility patch, what you would do is to copy the perks from ERSO into your patch record for that NPC, as well as the inventory edits from 'Immersive Weapons.' This way, your patch resolve the 'conflict.'

Edited by ripple

COCT = object count.

CNTO = container count.

COCT is basically the number of CNTO sub-records. So it's the sum of object records in the container (e.g. NPC inventory), but not the sum of actual number of objects (e,g, 2 steel shields + 1 iron sword. COCT = 2).