Microsoft games bluescreen error

Halororor

I recently tried playing Rise of Nations and it worked fine, but when I installed the expansion it gave me a bluescreen error and restarts the whole PC. Upon startup I get messages saying DR Watson Postmortem Debugger crashed and that the PC prevented Windows Explorer from opening through Data Execution Prevention. The other day I decided to try Age of Empires and the same thing happened. Can anybody tell me what's wrong or where to get help.

The infamous blue screen of death error (BSOD) is not directly related to your games but usually to your hardware.

Something is not working right or is conflicting when you call upon the resources your game needs (video card, etc.).

There are lots of sites for explaining about BSODs and I'm sure you can find those but I would recommend:

scandisk and defrags

drive updating

hardware reseating (sometimes a piece of hardware can become dislodged)

ensuring there is enough cooling for your hardware and space around the box so that it doesn't overheat

clearing out dust from your box (oh and NEVER have your computer directly on the floor!)

Of course, it could be a little more dire and a piece is actually failing or perhaps errors on the disk but those are a start.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Not as of yet, I've checked all the hardware and everything seems to be working fine. I'm going to format my PC as soon as I find a shop that sells Windows XP, so I'll see if it works then. I don't have any idea where I put my Windows XP, which gives me the idea somebody might have stolen it, because I've looked everywhere and still no sign of it.

Not as of yet, I've checked all the hardware and everything seems to be working fine. I'm going to format my PC as soon as I find a shop that sells Windows XP, so I'll see if it works then. I don't have any idea where I put my Windows XP, which gives me the idea somebody might have stolen it, because I've looked everywhere and still no sign of it.

Ah, sorry to hear that, mate.

Instead of forking out for the XP why not simply sign up for the beta test of Windows 7? It can't hurt to try it out, especially since the price is right. :) I've been using it since it came out and I'm liking it a lot. The only thing I'm missing right now is surround-sound support so this weekend I'm likely going to switch the W7 to my 32 bit box where I do my e-mailing and browsing and go back to Vista 64 on my gaming box.

Good luck!

Well, I've got an even bigger problem now. I was happily playing Team Fortress 2 when all of a sudden it froze, then about ten seconds later all the textures dissapear and after another minute or so it crashes and says my video card driver's failed. After reinstalling them the whole thing goes 4 bit color and 640 x 480 and just doesn't want to change. After a whole night of trying to fix this I go to a computer shop just to find out my Graphics card has seen it's arse:(

Well, at least it's still under guarantee so Nvidia will replace it, but the bad thing was, I actually wanted to upgrade to 8800GT, I actually wish they'd just give me discount on a new card rather than replace the broken one. My card was a 8500GT so it's not such a vast price difference.

The problem is people tell me the beta of windows 7 all expire close to the end of the year.

Ah, sorry to hear that, mate.

Instead of forking out for the XP why not simply sign up for the beta test of Windows 7? It can't hurt to try it out, especially since the price is right. :) I've been using it since it came out and I'm liking it a lot. The only thing I'm missing right now is surround-sound support so this weekend I'm likely going to switch the W7 to my 32 bit box where I do my e-mailing and browsing and go back to Vista 64 on my gaming box.

Good luck!

Yea i suggest Beta testing windows 7 to, i put windows xp on a partition if you do get xp back that could be an Option. I have three hard drives but they are manly used for games and to conserve space on my operating systems hard drive.

Ho also windows 7 rules probably the most stable out of them all, except xp of course. Also Rise of nations is a great RTS as well as one of my favs.

Well, I've got an even bigger problem now. I was happily playing Team Fortress 2 when all of a sudden it froze, then about ten seconds later all the textures dissapear and after another minute or so it crashes and says my video card driver's failed. After reinstalling them the whole thing goes 4 bit color and 640 x 480 and just doesn't want to change. After a whole night of trying to fix this I go to a computer shop just to find out my Graphics card has seen it's arse:(

Well, at least it's still under guarantee so Nvidia will replace it, but the bad thing was, I actually wanted to upgrade to 8800GT, I actually wish they'd just give me discount on a new card rather than replace the broken one. My card was a 8500GT so it's not such a vast price difference.

The problem is people tell me the beta of windows 7 all expire close to the end of the year.

That sounds like your Video card overheated or failed.

I had the same symptoms once.

Yup, sounds to me like you were overheating, one of the steps I mentioned in my original reply.

Apart from the PC's own cooling system being up to par, you have to ensure there is space around it and don't ever store things on top, etc.

As for the expiration of W7, so what? That's not likely to happen until September at the moment which gives you plenty of time to sort out your options.

Good luck.

Archived