Adding new crafting categories

Azakiel

I use quite a lot of armour mods and have been looking into tweaking the crafting categories in order to better sort the armors in a fashion I would like.

In the past I know the advice for adding a new crafting category was to make use of one of the 9/10 generic crafting slots that were left unused in the core game (although most of these have been used up by hearthfire and Dawnguard).

Since installing Dragonborn, I have noticed that Bonemold, Nordic Carved, Chitin (and presumably Stalhrim as well although I have yet to actually complete the quest that allows me to forge stalhrim. As far as I can tell Dragonborn does not make use of the generic crafting slots, so does anyone know how they are added?

Edited by Azakiel

The crafting categories are hard coded and make use of keywords. Its controlled via game settings.

Some people have used the "unused ones" (If I remember right there where 8) like Tera Armors and Immerresive armors. But as dwiss said there all hard coded and possibly going to be used by Bethesda in the future.

If you intend to use it for yourself you would have to change keywords on every single piece of armor /weapon you want in a specific category. They would then be sorted the way you want them - the tricky part will be that everytime there is an update to any of those you will have to adjust the keywords manually again.

Edited by dwiss

yeah, I'm aware of the 9/10 crafting slots that were left deliberately unused in vanilla skyrim but have been used in some mods such as IA (as you mentioned), and about how to modify keywords on armor to adjust their crafting category.

My point is that Hearthfire uses up the majority of them, Dawnguard uses another one, leaving only two (one of which is in use by IA), and yet Dragonborn seems to be able to add another 4, without utilizing any of the empty slots as far as I can tell.

In the past the it was a matter of renaming one of the generic crafting categories (requiring a modification of a GMST record) and then association the appropriate material keyword with that category in the default object manager (which creates a modified DOBJ record in the mod when viewed in TES5Edit). Looking through Dragonborn in TES5Edit, the only GMSTs added or modified are new ones related to dragonflight, and while the DOBJ is changed, I can't find any references to the 4 new crafting categories, so I'm having trouble figuring out how it was done.

As i stated before - they have hardcoded those. That means they have access to more for their own DLCs then we will ever have - they can simply add to it where we cant.

If you use ScriptDragon you can have a seemingly infinite number of crafting categories. SKSE cannot edit game settings, but SD can execute a console command - in this case, "setgs sLeather Avelonium" (or maybe it's 'setgs sLeather to Avelonium').

Then you just make yourself a custom forge, point the recipes to that specific forge, and attach a script to the forge that executes the setgs console commands on use and then sets them back.

Problem is, SD can cause issues when running some SKSE mods, is not updated to the latest Skyrim version as quickly (due to a Russian developer), and most people don't even have it installed.

@dwiss: The thing is, in the past that clearly hasn't been entirely the case. For example, even the vanilla crafting categories has associated GMST records that could be modified in order to rename the crafting categories, and entries in the default object manager so you could reassign what keyword fell into a given crafting category, and their first two DLCs made use of the deliberately empty generic crafting slots left over in the original esm, whereas Dragonborn follows none of these precedents (as far as I can tell), and I just can't imagine them modifying the actual exe to include the new crafting categories when everything else is done via esm, as it would cause all kinds of issues if Dragonborn was uninstalled/disabled, and the original exe not reinstalled, especially since they didn't do this for any of their other DLCs.

@azakiel i might be blind - but which 4 categories do you refer to when you mean dragonborn adds them?

• 7 months later...

sorry it has been so long since I replied, I got rather busy with work and stopped playing skyrim for a while.

the categories in question are Bonemold, Nordic Carved, Chitin (and presumably Stalhrim as well although I have yet to actually complete the quest that allows me to forge stalhrim)