Where to start with Skyrim modding?

I've been learning blender and game design for a few months now, and one thing I've been curious about is creating Skyrim mods.

There's a tutorial series on Youtube I discovered for using the creation kit, but it's intended for Skyrim LE, and, of course, I'm wanting to use SE, and I doubt that particular series can help me there. I'm new to modding and the forums, but if anyone knows of any good resources for someone who has no experience with skyrim modding, I would greatly appreciate it.

I would like to add to the great suggestions and recommend you start with making your own follower. It is a great intro to Creation Kit and then you have your OWN follower :smile:

The instructions work the same for Creation Kit SSE which is downloaded from Bethesda

How to Create a Custom Follower and Marriage Partner for "Skyrim" - LevelSkip - Video Games

Edited by Adventurer1111

I've been learning blender and game design for a few months now, and one thing I've been curious about is creating Skyrim mods.

There's a tutorial series on Youtube I discovered for using the creation kit, but it's intended for Skyrim LE, and, of course, I'm wanting to use SE, and I doubt that particular series can help me there. I'm new to modding and the forums, but if anyone knows of any good resources for someone who has no experience with skyrim modding, I would greatly appreciate it.

If you really want to learn how to mod then you might consider of joining the modding school at TES Alliance. :)

Also watching YouTube videos could help too, but at the same time it could be a little confusing since it's easy to miss important things.

Give it up. Don't even bother.

The game engine is severely broken. I've been trying for weeks to get a simple dialogue scene working but it's apparently impossible.

Checked everywhere, what few help sites there are don't work. It's either broken or there's apparently a trick to getting it to work, but modders don't want to share. So, it's no use.

Save yourself the frustration and just don't bother.

If you really want to learn how to mod then you might consider of joining the modding school at TES Alliance. :smile:

Also watching YouTube videos could help too, but at the same time it could be a little confusing since it's easy to miss important things.

Never knew about TES Alliance and I've been modding for 20 years! thank you for the link :)

• 2 months later...

i know im late, but don't bother. the only benefit of modding skyrim is being able to use it's assets and the existing fanbase.

It is poorly designed at every level, to the point that the CK can't even load all the game files without being modified itself. its limited to one master file. The official documentation explains very little and is often out of date or flat out wrong. The ability to mod is severly limited. even after 10 years and countless fantastic and complex 3rd party tools, we can't do something as simple as check how much xp a skill needs to increase or alter a weapons stats in runtime (other then its tempering).

i know im late, but don't bother. the only benefit of modding skyrim is being able to use it's assets and the existing fanbase.

It is poorly designed at every level, to the point that the CK can't even load all the game files without being modified itself. its limited to one master file. The official documentation explains very little and is often out of date or flat out wrong. The ability to mod is severly limited. even after 10 years and countless fantastic and complex 3rd party tools, we can't do something as simple as check how much xp a skill needs to increase or alter a weapons stats in runtime (other then its tempering).

Yes you can. You can do both those things with SKSE. I agree the official documentation leaves something to be desired, but it doesn't matter because of how much third party info there is by now. If you've tried to mod other games, you would know that Skyrim and Bethesda games in general are some of the easiest games to mod, which is why, at least on Nexus they have over double the amount of mods uploaded than any other game.