Mod idea: “Land of the Blood Red Sun”

Feltorn Von Dentai

If anyone here has played oblivion the whole way through you will remember the Akaviri, a Japanese-ish group of samurai-esque soldiers who you bunch up with around mid/end of the game. I remember the fond days of 2007, back before my Oblivion disc decided to kill itself on me, where I would spend my days with the Akaviri mods, one was another fortress by the coast, another was an island and I think there was even a mountain temple area filled with vampires or something…. Anyway, they all had lots of new weapons and buildings and a few quests even. And above all, they all looked stunning!

What I’m getting at here, is that I miss the traditional Japanese-ish stuff from Oblivion (you may have picked this up when you saw that my first submission to the Fallout 3 Nexus was a traditional Japanese blade reskin) and I’m a bit disheartened that the only real mention of a Japanese group in the fallout universe that I’ve heard of is the “Yukuza”, and that was nothing more then a single little group in fallout 2.

What I am suggesting here is a new island/land/fortress area with a post-apocalyptic Japan feel to it. It doesn’t even necessarily need to be very large, but a new area with a new theme, some new weapons, new NPC’s, maybe even some samurai/ninja styled power amours to grab a hold of, a new quest line perhaps?

Now, I know what you are probably thinking, you are probably thinking “Oh no! He wants to turn our beloved Fallout 3 in an anime!”…. well actually some people might like that. But that’s not what I’m suggesting. Also, a few of you may be thinking “Japan? Wait? Wouldn’t that be politically-incorrect? After all, America nuked Japan in WWII” and to that I say “No one would really give a damn in the long run”.

Now, currently this is nothing but an idea, but I know a bit about modding (well... on the Source engine anyway, I’m new to the G.E.C.K) and I could defiantly do texture work and possibly even map work if I found a decent tutorial somewhere (hint, hint). And if anyone else wants to help and we get a decent bunch of Modders together well… you never know.

Lastly, the overall reason I’m suggesting this is because, whilst Fallout 3 is a great game, it lacks a certain amount of verity that you got from Oblivion. You can only trudge around DC for so long… surely there are other wastelands to explore? Isn’t the world supposed the be a complete mess at the moment? What about other countries?

I suppose the thing I would love to see is a sort of post-apocalyptic steam punk Tokyo to run around in. but I’d be happy if we managed even a small Japan-esque fortress somewhere in DC.

Well, now that you have read my monologue (if you did actually read all that) post your thoughts on my idea.

why the heck did anyone report this thread?

but i must admit even if id love to venture to a post apokalyptic tokio or osaka i think the work needed to create all these buildings and so on is kinda over the top for a small mod... thats more like a 1yr enduring work experience...

and sadly the capital wastelands really dont offer much in terms of inhabitable areas where somin like a yakuza would make sense thus one would need to create whole new world space for sure to make it plausible in some way...

why the heck did anyone report this thread?

but i must admit even if id love to venture to a post apokalyptic tokio or osaka i think the work needed to create all these buildings and so on is kinda over the top for a small mod... thats more like a 1yr enduring work experience...

and sadly the capital wastelands really dont offer much in terms of inhabitable areas where somin like a yakuza would make sense thus one would need to create whole new world space for sure to make it plausible in some way...

I'm thinking therre might be a ten penny tower type geisha place that the Yakuza would be in as that's the type of place they'd be in. Though since he wanted more of a Steampunk type Japanese group then it'd just be a fort somewhere in DC I'd say.

And Tokyo apocalyptic would be pretty epic though it'd be a large project, people are doing such things already though so I don't see why not.

meybe so but some yakuza in experimental japanese powered armor? Me thinks it would be awsome. and maybe you could add in some quests to help them take over tenpenny tower. That would be sweet.. maybe some folks at the FALL IN MOD might help. a custom rebuild of tenpenny tower would be sweet.

Maybe you could have a yakuza-like group operating out of an abandoned Japanese factory. They could hire you to do contracts and other dirty jobs, after which you eould have access to a store selling the the remnants of the factory's products: square watermelons, katanas, Grey Fox armor,a Pikachu companion and other completely random stereotypical Japanese things.

Archived