Dead Money Collar Quest Status in GECK

Jimmbalaya

I was working on an idea in GECK yesterday that I've thought of for some time, but I've hit a rut.

My goal is to make a mod that allows for an immersive option to remove or disable the Dead Money collar mid-DLC without just doing it automatically or nerfing it, which I'd argue just eliminates challenge and kills a major gameplay mechanic.

In game, this would function by crafting an improvised EMP device crafted with 69 MF cells (nice!) and 7 Scrap Electronics, with a Repair Skill of 100. I got that part right.

I achieved this by creating an aid item that runs a short custom script I made, similar to the Hidden Valley one called 'HVCollarKey', but replacing the HV collar's EditorID with the EditorID 'NVDLC01ExplosiveCollar', which is the Dead Money Collar.

My script basically just ran like this:

scn RemoveCollar

begin OnAdd player

; F*** You Elijah

player.unequipitem NVDLC01ExplosiveCollar

player.removeitem NVDLC01ExplosiveCollar

RemoveMe

end

I can tell the script works as intended, but even if I untick the Quest Item Status box for the Collar in GECK, the item fails to remove the collar upon use, giving the dialog box that it cannot be unequipped. The script essentially achieves the same result as trying to discard the collar manually in-game, which you obviously cannot. It's as if it's permanently a quest item until Heist Of The Centuries is finished. I even tried adding a 'SetQuestObject NVDLC01ExplosiveCollar 0' line to the script, and later, another line that would set that specific quest stage (50, after you escape via the vault elevator, the collar is removed) to see if it worked, but it didn't, and that'd probably break the questline anyway.

I don't necessarily need to remove the collar itself; I could try a script to simply switch the collar's functions off after using the item, but that'll require a bit of further investigation on my part. I've examined some Nexus mods that touch the collar in xEdit, so I'm fine with trying something different to achieve this effect, but I've also scoured the masters in GECK for everything related to both the DM collar, and collars in general. The best bit I could find is the Quest script that manages the DM collar, which I've seen mods that touch. I've found little to nothing related to removing the quest status mid-game, though.

The idea is related to my character having maxed out Repair and being able to disable her collar with a carefully placed overload. I don't want to use some Mary Sue cheat mod that makes the entire DLC a breeze (no offense, I love my fellow modders) , I just want something that reflects my character's skills and alters what will be my fifth run of Dead Money, this time with the AWOP add-on.

Edited by Jimmbalaya

Please see the 'TIP Block Types Multiple vs Single Frame processing' section of the wiki "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article. Suspect you need to first clear the "quest item" flag and then after another frame or two try to remove it.

But removing it before "Heist" will probably break that script. All you really need to do is "disable" it with your skill so it doesn't explode. As you have identified the script that manages the collar, just modify that to check for your "effect" when it tries to kill the Player until "Heist".

-Dubious-

Hey, thanks, I'll look into that. I'm fairly novice with all this, but I'm a bit of a quick learner, and have spent just enough time poking around with mod software to finally start with some small ideas.

I appreciate the reply, I might even try to nail this tonight now.